Topics

Photo: Tank Car With Full Hand Railings

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Tank Car With Full Hand Railings

A 1955 photo from Riley Triggs' Port of New York blog:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-CZsX-F4jSe0/VQeUHnm9mJI/AAAAAAAAESQ/iUKe53LG-zQ/s1600/Roster%2Bat%2BGeneral%2BFoods.jpg

There are no markings on the car so perhaps it is in company service.

The photo is from the collection of Tim Stuy.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bill Daniels

Well, seeing as to how the rail between the car and the rest of the line has been pulled up recently (at least as of the date of the photo), it may be safe to assume that the car is in true captive service.

Bill Daniels
Santa Rosa, CA

On Sunday, November 17, 2019, 10:59:23 AM PST, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: Tank Car With Full Hand Railings

A 1955 photo from Riley Triggs' Port of New York blog:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-CZsX-F4jSe0/VQeUHnm9mJI/AAAAAAAAESQ/iUKe53LG-zQ/s1600/Roster%2Bat%2BGeneral%2BFoods.jpg

There are no markings on the car so perhaps it is in company service.

The photo is from the collection of Tim Stuy.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Matt Herson

Attaching a photo I took in January 1962 of what appears to be the same tank car.  Rail has been removed on both sides of car and the car is stationary.

Matt Herson

Well, seeing as to how the rail between the car and the rest of the line has been pulled up recently (at least as of the date of the photo), it may be safe to assume that the car is in true captive service.

Bill Daniels

Santa Rosa, CA

On Sunday, November 17, 2019, 10:59:23 AM PST, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: Tank Car With Full Hand Railings

A 1955 photo from Riley Triggs' Port of New York blog:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-CZsX-F4jSe0/VQeUHnm9mJI/AAAAAAAAESQ/iUKe53LG-zQ/s1600/Roster%2Bat%2BGeneral%2BFoods.jpg

There are no markings on the car so perhaps it is in company service.

The photo is from the collection of Tim Stuy.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dean Kinzley

Thanks for this and thanks too for the pointer to the Hoboken Shore Railroad, which was new to me.
Dean

On Sunday, November 17, 2019, 01:59:24 PM EST, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: Tank Car With Full Hand Railings

A 1955 photo from Riley Triggs' Port of New York blog:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-CZsX-F4jSe0/VQeUHnm9mJI/AAAAAAAAESQ/iUKe53LG-zQ/s1600/Roster%2Bat%2BGeneral%2BFoods.jpg

There are no markings on the car so perhaps it is in company service.

The photo is from the collection of Tim Stuy.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bill Daniels

Notice that in the color shot, the knuckle of the visible coupler has been removed. Of course, those archbar truvks are long illegal for interchange. The brake cylinder appears to be a KD style. Back when I was a kid, there was another isolated tank car at the small yard office a couple of miles from my home. I can't remember if they pulled the rail behind it, but the knuckles were also missing on it as well. When the yard was removed (probably in the 90's) I would have to guess that the car was scrapped in place. The car was there to fuel the six switchers that were assigned to that line. Sanding of the units was done by hand. On this car, in the first shot, I noticed that the knuckle on the other end was slotted for a link and pin attachment, which tells you how old this car was. You cannot see it from this angle. I cannot say for sure, but I would guess that the missing knuckle was "borrowed" by a crew that experienced a cracked knuckle on their train.

Bill Daniels
Santa Rosa, CA

On Sunday, November 17, 2019, 12:56:10 PM PST, Dean Kinzley via Groups.Io <dean.kinzley@...> wrote:

Thanks for this and thanks too for the pointer to the Hoboken Shore Railroad, which was new to me.
Dean

On Sunday, November 17, 2019, 01:59:24 PM EST, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: Tank Car With Full Hand Railings

A 1955 photo from Riley Triggs' Port of New York blog:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-CZsX-F4jSe0/VQeUHnm9mJI/AAAAAAAAESQ/iUKe53LG-zQ/s1600/Roster%2Bat%2BGeneral%2BFoods.jpg

There are no markings on the car so perhaps it is in company service.

The photo is from the collection of Tim Stuy.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

G.J. Irwin

This is not far from my late dad's old neighborhood.  There is a little more on the Hoboken Shore Line at hbs.railfan.net (caution: some material beyond the time period of this list).

The photo looks like it was taken near the Maxwell House Coffee plant, one of the main brands of General Foods.  It was a major customer.

Cheers,
George Irwin