Topics

Photo: Tennessee Coal, Iron & Railroad

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Tennessee Coal, Iron & Railroad

A circa 1906 photo from the Detroit Publishing Co:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bennetthall/9209902079/in/album-72157634496066101/

Click on the photo to enlarge it.

Older freight cars and locomotives.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Nolan Hinshaw

On Jun 28, 2020, at 11:08, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: Tennessee Coal, Iron & Railroad
A circa 1906 photo from the Detroit Publishing Co:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bennetthall/9209902079/in/album-72157634496066101/
Click on the photo to enlarge it.
Older freight cars and locomotives.
That plume coming out of the goat's safety looks just like a wisp of cotton!
(On the other hand the fireman seems to need some unpaid time off for overfiring.)

Ray Hutchison

Anyone have photos of (similar) the three cars in the middle -- the L&N hopper and those on either side?  Even better, any builder diagrams or modeling diagrams?

This is Birmingham, Alabama.  The blast furnaces in the right background are still there.

ray hutchison

Thomas Evans

Ray,

There are other photos.  The LofC has a few:

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/search/?q=ensley&co=det

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/search/?q=birmingham%20mine&co=det

And I have some builders photos of an earlier (link & pin era) car from the Kansas City, Memphis & Birmingham RR.

I'm also very interested in this particular style of wooden hopper car & would love to learn about others wherever they might have been.

The Colorado Midland (my particular interest) had a fleet of similar cars on an obscure branch hauling coal from the mine to coke ovens which eventually fed the big CF&I steel mill in Pueblo, Colo.

Tom E.