Photo: Unidentified PRR Gondola (1929)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Unidentified PRR Gondola (1929)

A photo from the University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee Libraries:

https://collections.lib.uwm.edu/digital/collection/mke-polonia/id/33889/rec/115

Click on the arrows and scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Notice the “Weigh” placard.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dave Parker

I don't know if they came from this source, but I have this and two other shots of the same car -- 355216, class GRa.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Bob and List Members,

This PRR gondola was built (month-illegible)-13, and the PRR class marks "GRa" are just barely discernable if you zoom in enough. It has PRR 'center-bar' style lettering - this lettering style had been discontinued some years before the 1929 date of the photo image.

I spent a little time monkeying with the image in a photo editor program - see attachment. My interpretation is that this is car PRR 3XX216, where the two digits XX are not really legible. Looking over my 11-1929 ORER, I would figure this car to be PRR 355216, part of class GRa series 355084-357000.

Thanks Bob, great photo!

Claus Schlund

A photo from the University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee Libraries:

https://collections.lib.uwm.edu/digital/collection/mke-polonia/id/33889/rec/115

Click on the arrows and scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Notice the “Weigh” placard.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dave Parker

With a minimal amount of noodling around the UMW site, you can find the other views of this car and eliminate the guesswork about the car number.  Here's a link to one of them:

https://collections.lib.uwm.edu/digital/collection/mke-polonia/id/34015/rec/2
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA