Topics

Photo: Unloading Gasoline

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Unloading Gasoline

An undated photo from the Hathaway Archives Art Collections:

https://pixels.com/featured/gasoline-supply-men-filling-five-gallon-stocktrek-images.html?product=canvas-print

This work probably took awhile.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bill J.

AMAZING!  I can't see the pump to move gas fro car to can.  Siphoning?!

Bill Jolitz

Dave Parker

Google is our friend.  It took a couple of steps, but that's an LOC FSA pic from WWII that you can find here:

https://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/fsa/item/2017871450/

The 19 Mb TIFF version has a LOT more detail!

I defer to Steve Hile, but UTLX  19656 seems to be a bit of an oddball.  Steve's 1938 roster indicates these were early 6500-gal X-3 cars, that received new 8000-gal tanks ca. 1930.  Note the tank has four longitudinal  courses, which none of the "conventional" X-3s had.  This might explain the rather curious 1918 build date.

The two cars in front of 19656 both look like UTLX Class X (or XX) cars, 6500 gallons.

Great photo that I had not seen before; thanks for posting Bob.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Steve and Barb Hile

We did use this photo, and one from Richard Hendrickson on the next page (81-82.)  Basically, the three course 6500 gallon tank was replaced by a four course 8000 gallon tank on the same underframe.  I am not sure how much of the original tank was reused in the process.

Thanks for the plug.

Steve Hile

Google is our friend.  It took a couple of steps, but that's an LOC FSA pic from WWII that you can find here:

https://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/fsa/item/2017871450/

The 19 Mb TIFF version has a LOT more detail!

I defer to Steve Hile, but UTLX  19656 seems to be a bit of an oddball.  Steve's 1938 roster indicates these were early 6500-gal X-3 cars, that received new 8000-gal tanks ca. 1930.  Note the tank has four longitudinal  courses, which none of the "conventional" X-3s had.  This might explain the rather curious 1918 build date.

The two cars in front of 19656 both look like UTLX Class X (or XX) cars, 6500 gallons.

Great photo that I had not seen before; thanks for posting Bob.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Dave Parker

Well, Steve, obviously my copy of the book is not as well-thumbed as it should be.  But I am glad to now have the TIFF from the LOC, as it always gladdens my heart to see the Class X and V cars in service.  ;-)
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

David Soderblom

Well, at least nobody’s smoking that I can see. The baggage car is UP maybe and suggests a branch line location.

Sent from my tricorder

--
David Soderblom
Baltimore MD