Photo: Unloading Grain From A Boxcar

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Unloading Grain From A Boxcar

A photo from the University of Texas-Arlington Archives:

https://library.uta.edu/digitalgallery/img/20093921

Click on the photo twice to fully enlarge it.

Real work, 1940s style.

Partial boxcar reporting mark: …H&H 33832

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Barry Bennett

Galvaston Houston Henderson?

Barry Bennett
North Hykeham, UK

On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 at 17:15, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: Unloading Grain From A Boxcar

A photo from the University of Texas-Arlington Archives:

https://library.uta.edu/digitalgallery/img/20093921

Click on the photo twice to fully enlarge it.

Real work, 1940s style.

Partial boxcar reporting mark: …H&H 33832

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Douglas Harding

Nice shot showing power shovels in use. But even better is the modification on the grain door behind the men to fit a 7’ foot opening.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

A photo from the University of Texas-Arlington Archives:

https://library.uta.edu/digitalgallery/img/20093921

Click on the photo twice to fully enlarge it.

Real work, 1940s style.

Partial boxcar reporting mark: …H&H 33832

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Schuyler Larrabee

Interesting.  Integrated crew.  I don’t get the chains and how that works.  And what’s that bifurcated duct (?) in the other doorway?

Schuyler

A photo from the University of Texas-Arlington Archives:

https://library.uta.edu/digitalgallery/img/20093921

Click on the photo twice to fully enlarge it.

Real work, 1940s style.

Partial boxcar reporting mark: …H&H 33832

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Benjamin Hom

Bob Chaparro wrote:

"Photo: Unloading Grain From A Boxcar

A photo from the University of Texas-Arlington Archives:

https://library.uta.edu/digitalgallery/img/20093921

Click on the photo twice to fully enlarge it.

Real work, 1940s style.

Partial boxcar reporting mark: …H&H 33832"

Barry Bennett replied:
"Galv[e]ston Houston Henderson?"

For a steel boxcar?  No.  Try NYNH&H (NH) 33832, from NH 33500-33999, PS-1, 10 ft 6 in IH, 7 ft 7-panel Superior doors.  Details in the photo are consistent with this ID.

Ben Hom

Dennis Storzek

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 10:17 AM, Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
Interesting.  Integrated crew.  I don’t get the chains and how that works.  And what’s that bifurcated duct (?) in the other doorway?
Winches outside the car pull the "power shovels" to the door, the men just steer. The real work comes when they have to drag the shovels back to the ends of the car. The duct is for loading, it projects into the car and duct extensions take the material all the way to the ends. The duct is white inside so I assume flour. Can't tell if is set up to load on the same track as the unloading pit, or one or two tracks over.

Dennis Storzek

Bob Chaparro

akerboomk

RE: Chains

I almost missed the chains are attached to a ?strap? (at least the one the guy on the left is using is), which then (eventually) is attached to a winch of some sort

I would assume the other one is also attached, but the “strap” is below the floor height and is therefore hidden from view

--
Ken Akerboom

Philip Dove

Does anyone have a picture of the other end of the winch equipment?

Douglas Harding

Here is the best I can offer. All have a small pulley outside the car door, which routes the pulling cable.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Does anyone have a picture of the other end of the winch equipment?