Topics

Photo: UP Boxcar 13356 With Banner

Bob Chaparro

Photo: UP Boxcar 13356 With Banner

A 1923 photo from the Northwest Museum of Arts & Culture:

https://ferrisarchives.northwestmuseum.org/Item/Index/6527

Only a fair quality photo.

Banner advertises motor oil.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Eric Hansmann

The boxcar has a 1926 weigh stencil so the photo can't be 1923.

What is the back story on the Arbitrary stencils used with the weigh data here? I've not seen that before.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On June 13, 2020 at 11:42 PM "Bob Chaparro via groups.io" <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: UP Boxcar 13356 With Banner

A 1923 photo from the Northwest Museum of Arts & Culture:

https://ferrisarchives.northwestmuseum.org/Item/Index/6527

Only a fair quality photo.

Banner advertises motor oil.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

John Barry

Eric,

Pure speculation - Capacity set by the car owner at something less than the standard, not to be changed on re-weigh.  Denoted in my 1944 era by a star.  Just a guess, but not a WAG.

John

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Sunday, June 14, 2020, 08:42:15 AM EDT, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

The boxcar has a 1926 weigh stencil so the photo can't be 1923.

What is the back story on the Arbitrary stencils used with the weigh data here? I've not seen that before.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On June 13, 2020 at 11:42 PM "Bob Chaparro via groups.io" <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: UP Boxcar 13356 With Banner

A 1923 photo from the Northwest Museum of Arts & Culture:

https://ferrisarchives.northwestmuseum.org/Item/Index/6527

Only a fair quality photo.

Banner advertises motor oil.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bob Chaparro

Tony Thompson discussed the "star" in this blog post:
http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-equipment-register-part-4.html
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA