Photo: UP Gondola 63960 In Discharge Mode (1922)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: UP Gondola 63960 In Discharge Mode (1922)

A photo from the University of Utah Library:

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s65t5v5t

This photo can be enlarged quite a bit.

Good detail of a G-50-7 car.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Josh

Far more interesting is the car behind it - SLR19040.

This is the first and only time I have ever seen that reporting mark - the Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad used LASL as its normal identifier. SLR refers to the LA&SL's slogan, "The Salt Lake Route."

The car is a Pressed Steel Car Company 40-foot offset side drop bottom car, built in 1914 if I remember correctly. I have seen reference to this batch in surviving PSC records but no details were given except for the date and number of cars built. I am happy that this photo confirms that they were identical to the Utah Coal Route cars jointly owned by the LA&SL and the Utah Railway.

For the HO scale modelers, Bonsall Scale Car Shops offers kits for this car, both in its as-built version and later rebuilt versions.

Brian Termunde

Josh;
Thanks for pointing this out in another great find by Bob.

Being that my folks were born and raised in Salt Lake, whereas my elder brother and I were born and raised in LA, I have a natural affinity for the LA&SL!

I recently found in a local hobby shop a LA&SL custom decorated (N Scale) box car and immediately purchased it. While unlikely that that a 36 foot truss rod box car would've been still around in my 1953 era, I just had to have it!

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, Utah

Re: Photo: UP Gondola 63960 In Discharge Mode (1922)
From: Josh
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2020 12:48:55 PDT
Far more interesting is the car behind it - SLR19040.

Clarence Zink

Bonsall Scale Car Shops seems to have disappeared off eBay.  And I do not do Farce Book.

Is there any other way to contact these folks?  A regular website, or some other vendor?  I'm in need of a couple of the UCR drop bottom gondolas that Bonsall evidently used to make.

My reference is this car, UCR 20843.  The clip is from the Utah State Historical Society collection, taken in 1957 at Keetley, Utah:

These cars are listed in the 1960 ORER

Tim O'Connor

So... you want to contact a vendor, but you don't want to use the method they have chosen for contact?

It's hard to help those who can't help themselves.

https://www.facebook.com/bonsallscalecarshops/

On 1/19/2022 3:30 PM, Clarence Zink wrote:
Bonsall Scale Car Shops seems to have disappeared off eBay.  And I do not do Farce Book.

Is there any other way to contact these folks?  A regular website, or some other vendor?  I'm in need of a couple of the UCR drop bottom gondolas that Bonsall evidently used to make.

My reference is this car, UCR 20843.  The clip is from the Utah State Historical Society collection, taken in 1957 at Keetley, Utah:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Corey Bonsall

Hi Clarence,

I still have listings on Ebay, not sure if a link address changed, or sometimes the search options are less than intuitive.

If you want to use Ebay, try this link:  www.ebay.com/usr/bonsallscalecarshops

Otherwise, send me an email at coreybonsall @ gmail.com, and I can do direct Paypal invoices.

I don't have a stand-alone website or try to sell through other vendors, as this is a part-time, one man show, and I can't even keep up on kit stock, let alone managing other avenues.  And the pricing is at labor-of-love levels, so it sure isn't going to pay the bills!

Corey Bonsall

Clarence Zink

Corey -

Ah-ha, I must have "fat fingered" the search in eBay.  Thanks for the correct link.

CRZ