Topics

Photo: UTLX 69755 Loading Hot Rosin (Circa 1960)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: UTLX 69755 Loading Hot Rosin (Circa 1960)

A photo from the Science History Institute:

https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/bk128b85n

Click and scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Caption:

General view of the tank car loading station used to transport hot rosin at the Hercules Powder Company plant in Brunswick, Georgia. One of two Hercules plants specializing in naval stores, the Brunswick plant extracted rosin, turpentine, and pine oil from pine tree stumps in order to produce a range of chemicals used in the manufacture of varnishes, paints, adhesives, insecticides, textiles, and other industrial products. The employee visible adjusting the loading pipe on top of the tank car is identified as Clifford Martin.

Formed in 1912 as part of an anti-trust settlement with DuPont, the Hercules Powder Company (later Hercules Inc.) initially specialized in the manufacture of explosives and smokeless powders and subsequently diversified its business to encompass a variety of industrial products, including pine and paper chemicals, synthetics, pigments, polymers, and cellulose.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

erieblt2

Sorry for an aside. For some unknown reason this picture Sparked an old memory. In the early 60’s I saw the result of a derailed overturned split open covered hopper at Parkville Junction on the Long Island Rail Road’s Bay Ridge Branch. The hopper was carrying tiny blue plastic beads to be made into...(?) ‘stuff’. It was everywherE! The mild wind blew the little spheres all around. I still have an empty 35mm film canister filled with the little pellets! I still wonder how they cleaned it up! It was inshovelable(?‘could not be shoveled’). Cleaning up wrecked reefer contents must also been tough! Celery !?! And spilled resin!!!!! Yikes! Bill S

On Oct 11, 2020, at 10:45 AM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

[...]

Larry Goolsby

Bob, thanks for this interesting post. I've always had an interest in the Hercules Brunswick plant due to its business with the AB&A-AB&C-ACL. Years ago when I was researching my AB&C book I "heard" that the Brunswick plant had a large photo collection but I never followed up - perhaps some of these photos are what were in that collection. Anyway my interest in Hercules photos (and those of predecessor Southeastern Yaryan Naval Stores) was in hopes they would show any AB&A-AB&C stump cars (gons plus flats with racks) and other rolling stock there. Also always after additional photos of ACL's fleet of stump gondolas (modified USRA cars) although I've managed to do pretty well finding those. All these cars carried pine tree stumps that were dynamited out of the ground and taken to Hercules for processing. Per the web, it appears Pinova has the plant today - https://pinovasolutions.com/sell-your-pine-stumps.

Larry Goolsby