Topics

Photo: Wabash Mather Boxcar 19290 (1910)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Wabash Mather Boxcar 19290 (1910)

A photo from the Detroit Public Library:

https://digitalcollections.detroitpubliclibrary.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A172723

Click and hold to enlarge photo.

Interesting Mather logo.

Caption:

View of several workmen loading wooden crate into railroad car at Michigan Steel Boat Company. "From Michigan Steel Boat Co., Detroit, Mich." painted on crate. "Mather car" painted on railroad car. Handwritten on back: "Companies--Michigan Steel Boat Co., 1910."

Another view, but blurry:

https://digitalcollections.detroitpubliclibrary.org/islandora/object/islandora%3A172497

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

lrkdbn

This is an unusual car- an all wood single sheathed boxcar. Could it be a wood stock car converted to meet a shortage of box cars? I recall seeing a similar Pere Marquette car in the Steamtown DL&W photo collection.
It also was being used for auto loading
Larry King

lrkdbn

Dear group
Attached please find the picture I referred to in my previous post- A Pere Marquette all wood single sheathed
auto/box car, perhaps a converted stock car?
Larry King

Ray Breyer

The car in the photo is a Mather automobile boxcar. PM 60000-60299 were on lease from 1914 to 1918.

Several railroads leased these 36-foot auto boxcars between 1907 and 1918, when the cars were removed from lease by Mather (they didn't make money after 1915 or so): C&EI, MC, PM and Wabash.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL