Topics

Photo: Ward Boiler On Illinois Central Flatcar

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Ward Boiler On Illinois Central Flatcar

An undated photo from West Virginia University:

https://wvhistoryonview.org/image/038724.jpg

Interesting Trucks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Donald B. Valentine

   Interesting trucks of a design I don’t recall ever seeing before. Wonder what the height of the

deck above the rail is for tis IC flat car? Unless the body bolster is quite thick it would seem that

a lower deck height might be available with such trucks.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Dennis Storzek

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 11:21 AM, Donald B. Valentine wrote:

Interesting trucks of a design I don’t recall ever seeing before. Wonder what the height of the

deck above the rail is for tis IC flat car?

Don, Those are Ajax trucks, an early cast steel pedestal type truck. If you squint hard at the photo, you can barely see AJAX cast in large letters in the sideframe. Ajax trucks, which were manufactured by American Steel Foundries early in the twentieth century, rate one photo in the 1906 Car Builder's Dictionary. That better photo shows that the bolster or transoms (I haven't determined if these are floating bolster trucks) attach to the top of the sideframe, so the center plate is at normal height.

Dennis Storzek