Topics

Photo: WFEX 67395 With Forward Facing Rocky (Circa 1938) - Question

G.J. Irwin

Question for the group on this photo cited by Bob Chaparro back on the 17th:

https://californiarevealed.org/islandora/object/cavpp%3A112263

The brake wheel arrangement (vertical staff or horizontal mount) isn't apparent from the photo.  I have tried looking online for information on the Sunshine and Westerfield kits mentioned by group members, since they are both "scholarly" and would likely contain that information.  But no luck on either search.

Any thoughts on this?  You know what happens when you assume...

Cheers,
George Irwin

Richard Townsend

I believe I see a vertical staff brake wheel barely sticking above the ice hatch at the left end. Above the W in Western.

On Aug 30, 2020, at 2:35 PM, G.J. Irwin <groups@...> wrote:

Question for the group on this photo cited by Bob Chaparro back on the 17th:

https://californiarevealed.org/islandora/object/cavpp%3A112263

The brake wheel arrangement (vertical staff or horizontal mount) isn't apparent from the photo.  I have tried looking online for information on the Sunshine and Westerfield kits mentioned by group members, since they are both "scholarly" and would likely contain that information.  But no luck on either search.

Any thoughts on this?  You know what happens when you assume...

Cheers,
George Irwin

Bill Welch

In addition to the information I wrote in Message #176921 , WFE and FGE cars normally retained their original vertical brake shafts through WWII. In 1948 WFE and FGE began to rebuild many of their 1921 and 1926 company design cars applying first a steel frame and with the new frame a taller car body. The "tell" for the framing are riveted plates along the to hold the new framing more rigidly. These taller rebuilds had power handbrakes applied.

A good way to tell if vertical brake shafts are in place it to look for the extreme height in an ORER as it likely this measurement is clearly higher than the "Eave" height.

Bill Welch