Topics

Photos: 140 Foot Tank On 3 Flatcars (edited message)

Ralph W. Brown

Edited message follows:

Hi john, et al.,

Drawing from your listing of possible candidates, and being a certified (or maybe certifiable) SPF, I did a little research regarding the PRR cars listed.

The hundred PRR Class F30 50’ flat cars numbered 470100-470199 were built in 1929 of riveted construction using pressed steel shapes and rode on a single pair of PRR 2E-F4 or 2E-F4A trucks.  In 1942, most were upgraded to 190,000 lbs. capacity with the application of AB brakes and 2F-F4 trucks.  The nearest flat car in the first two images (outside the plant) clearly are not PRR Class F30 flat cars.  See: Pennsylvania Railroad Flat Cars Revenue & Work Equipment, 1881 to 1968 by Elden Gatwood and Al Buchan, pp. 43-44.

PRR 470200-470202 were PRR Class F34 flat cars.  PRR 470200 and 470201 were railroad built at Altoona in 1938, and PRR 470202 followed in 1943.  These cars had a capacity of 375,000 lbs.  They each has two sets of AB brakes and rode on two sets of two PRR 2F-F3 four-wheel trucks with each set being connected by a span bolster.  Given the date of the photograph, one of these cars, especially one of the first two of them, is a strong possibility for that nearest flat in the first two images.  The stirrup steps at the corner appear to be an exact match for the car in question.  See: Pennsylvania Railroad Flat Cars Revenue & Work Equipment, 1881 to 1968 by Elden Gatwood and Al Buchan, pp. 61-63.

PRR Class F36 consisted of the thirty flat cars numbered 470205-470235.  The cars date from 1940, each had a capacity of 250,000 lbs., and were of welded construction.  Inasmuch as they rode on PRR 3F-F3 six-wheel Buckeye trucks, they are not candidates for the car in question.  See: Pennsylvania Railroad Flat Cars Revenue & Work Equipment, 1881 to 1968 by Elden Gatwood and Al Buchan, pp. 65-68.

Incidentally, I’d recommend Elden’s and Al’s PRR flat car book to anyone interested in PRR flat cars.  It’s my go to resource on the subject.  This duo also authored a similarly titled book on PRR gondolas that is my go to source on that subject.

Hope that helps.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine