Topics

Photos: Assorted Freight Cars In St. Louis (Undated)

Bob Chaparro

Photos: Assorted Freight Cars In St. Louis (Undated)

Photos from the State Historical Society Of Missouri:

https://cdm17228.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/imc/id/13798/rec/2

https://cdm17228.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/imc/id/13220/rec/1

https://cdm17228.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/imc/id/13011/rec/1

Scroll on the photos to enlarge them.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Robert J. Amsler, Jr.

As these photos are from St. Louis, I wanted to determine which yard was the subject of these three photographs.  I determined that they are actually an industrial yard in north St. Louis City in the northern industrial area where a number of freight houses were just north of downtown St. Louis and just a few blocks west of the Mississippi River.

The business in the background is Carr Tromble Manufacturing, which owned Bilt Well Plans and Millwork.  They published plans for homes and would provide you with a home kit to build your home.

Robert J. Amsler, Jr.

514 Dover Place

Saint Louis, Missouri 63111

(314) 606-6118  (Telephone)

(314) 754-2688  (Facsimile)

MPFan1@...

Photos: Assorted Freight Cars In St. Louis (Undated)

Photos from the State Historical Society Of Missouri:

https://cdm17228.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/imc/id/13798/rec/2

https://cdm17228.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/imc/id/13220/rec/1

https://cdm17228.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/imc/id/13011/rec/1

Scroll on the photos to enlarge them.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Gary Roe

Robert,

I agree with your assessment 100%.

In the middle picture, there are 2 diesel switchers in the background.  I am 99% sure the one to the left is a Wabash SW-1.  Not sure about the ALCo on the right; but it is possible it belongs to the Wabash as well.  The Chevy truck that appears to be loading scrap into the PRR gon was built between 41-46 (they all looked the same), so the photo dates no earlier than 1941.

gary roe
quincy, illinois

On Thursday, October 15, 2020, 12:37:11 PM CDT, Robert J. Amsler, Jr. <mpfan1@...> wrote:

[...]

Scott

Thats some big coal in the N&W gondola in the first picture.  What industry in St Louis would use something that big?

Scott McDonald

Eric Hansmann

It might be coke in the N&W gondola. Foundries of all sizes use coke. A gondola delivery might be for a smaller or medium size operation.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Thats some big coal in the N&W gondola in the first picture.  What industry in St Louis would use something that big?

Scott McDonald

Eric Hansmann

Team yard photos like these are almost pure gold. Thanks, Bob!

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Photos: Assorted Freight Cars In St. Louis (Undated)

Photos from the State Historical Society Of Missouri:

https://cdm17228.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/imc/id/13798/rec/2

https://cdm17228.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/imc/id/13220/rec/1

https://cdm17228.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/imc/id/13011/rec/1

Scroll on the photos to enlarge them.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Steve and Barb Hile

Until I looked closer, I didn’t realize that all three pictures had the same subject matter (cars).  Combining the first two creates one that is similar to the third one.

Steve Hile

Team yard photos like these are almost pure gold. Thanks, Bob!

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Photos: Assorted Freight Cars In St. Louis (Undated)

Photos from the State Historical Society Of Missouri:

https://cdm17228.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/imc/id/13798/rec/2

https://cdm17228.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/imc/id/13220/rec/1

https://cdm17228.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/imc/id/13011/rec/1

Scroll on the photos to enlarge them.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Eric Hansmann

The image with the fisheye lens effect features a Frisco boxcar with an 11-41 weigh stencil.

Some of the same cars are in each image. The N&W gondola with the chunky coal/coke load only appears in one image. I wonder if it was held here until it could be spotted at the foundry in the background.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Until I looked closer, I didn’t realize that all three pictures had the same subject matter (cars).  Combining the first two creates one that is similar to the third one.

Steve Hile

Team yard photos like these are almost pure gold. Thanks, Bob!

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Photos: Assorted Freight Cars In St. Louis (Undated)

Photos from the State Historical Society Of Missouri:

https://cdm17228.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/imc/id/13798/rec/2

https://cdm17228.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/imc/id/13220/rec/1

https://cdm17228.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/imc/id/13011/rec/1

Scroll on the photos to enlarge them.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Steve and Barb Hile

In the fisheye lens effect, the N&W gon is almost fully hidden behind the UP auto boxcar.

I wonder if it is the next in line for the unloading conveyor by the gon (possibly also N&W) hidden by the PRR gon with scrap.

I believe all three photos were taken from the same spot at virtually the same time.

Steve Hile