Topics

Photos: Auto Loader (Circa 1930s)

Bob Chaparro

Photos: Auto Loader (Circa 1930s)

Photos from the Virginia Tech University Library:

https://imagebase.lib.vt.edu/image_viewer.php?q=ns493

https://imagebase.lib.vt.edu/image_viewer.php?q=ns495

Photos can be enlarged.

Hard to be sure but it appears there is a diagram on the boxcar wall with instructions for using the equipment. Just a guess.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Kenneth Montero

Not so many years ago, while visiting the former N&W station in Christiansburg, Virginia, I saw in the freight house portion of the station a diagram with instructions for unloading a boxcar containing automobiles. I don't know if it is still there.

Ken Montero

On 08/19/2020 6:37 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photos: Auto Loader (Circa 1930s)

Photos from the Virginia Tech University Library:

https://imagebase.lib.vt.edu/image_viewer.php?q=ns493

https://imagebase.lib.vt.edu/image_viewer.php?q=ns495

Photos can be enlarged.

Hard to be sure but it appears there is a diagram on the boxcar wall with instructions for using the equipment. Just a guess.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Allen Cain

Anybody know how these loaders worked?

I am speculating that there is a pivoting ramp that the top car is put onto and then it is rotated up and secured with the poles visible on the sides of the loader and then the lower car is pulled underneath it.

Is this it or something different?

Allen Cain

Ray Hutchison

I've always wondered how many automobiles got squashed during shipment...

George Eichelberger

Here is a Google Drive link, courtesy of the Southern Railway Historical Assoc. archives, to three drawings, circa 1935 for Evans auto loaders. Southern drawing SF-40545 shows instructions for using the racks that was stenciled inside the Sou 272000 series 40’ dbl door box cars. Among the first Southern all-steel box cars. (A model of a box car, door open, with racks being unloaded would be spectacular on a layout or as a museum exhibit.)

Ike

PS There are many, many Southern and CofG drawings in the SRHA archives at TVRM. Visitors, and donations, are welcome.

radiodial868

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 06:30 AM, Ray Hutchison wrote:
I've always wondered how many automobiles got squashed during shipment...
A friend's dad used to work at an auto dealership in the early 1950's. He said they routinely did repairs on nicks and scratches, and sometimes major dents and damage at the dealership from cars that arrived by both rail (team track) and auto carrier.  All part of the "Dealer Prep" that still exists today. Most of the damage occurred during loading and unloading. If it occurred during loading, the damage area would be numbered with a grease pencil, and the dealership would get a credit from the factory.
I imagine the 1930's-40's would have been even worse.
--
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA