Click on the arrows and scroll on the photos to enlarge them.

Date: “Not before 1955”

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dennis Storzek

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 09:02 AM, Bob Chaparro wrote:
https://collections.lib.uwm.edu/digital/collection/agsnorth/id/11545/rec/57
Cool. South Water Street terminal. That skinny little spire to the left in the skyline is Mather Tower, which was the headquarters of the Mather Stock Car Co. and briefly the tallest building in Chicago when completed in 1928. The interior space within the upper octagonal spire contains the least square footage per floor of any Chicago skyscaper.

Dennis Storzek

Schuyler Larrabee

A pretty dubious distinction from a real estate point of view!

OTOH, a predecessor to the now ubiquitous “needle towers” with one condo per floor in NYC.

Schuyler

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 09:02 AM, Bob Chaparro wrote:

https://collections.lib.uwm.edu/digital/collection/agsnorth/id/11545/rec/57

Cool. South Water Street terminal. That skinny little spire to the left in the skyline is Mather Tower, which was the headquarters of the Mather Stock Car Co. and briefly the tallest building in Chicago when completed in 1928. The interior space within the upper octagonal spire contains the least square footage per floor of any Chicago skyscaper.

Dennis Storzek

Bill Parks

Does anyone have any information on the piggy back trailers in the pictures?  I've never seen any with a waffle side like those.

Thanks

--
Bill Parks
Cumming, GA

Mike Clements

I think they were built by Dorsey. We had some blue B&M ones rotting away at Iron Horse Park in N Billerica, MA until fairly recently. Mont Switzer wrote an article on how to build one like that from an Athearn Freuhauf Z-van in Mainline Modeler. REA Leasing was a big owner, solid red paint, leased to various roads.

Mike Clements
Wakefield, MA
nyc65.wordpress.com

Jack Mullen

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 03:30 PM, Bill Parks wrote:
Does anyone have any information on the piggy back trailers in the pictures?  I've never seen any with a waffle side like those.
Not really a waffle side. These are otherwise normal exterior-post vans which have three horizontal strips welded to the outer faces of the posts as rub rails to protect the posts and side from damage if sideswiped.
The nearest trailers are XTRA 276592 and XRTZ 275933 (I think).  XTRA's early pig trailers seem to have been built for durability.
Prevalence of 40' trailers on 89' or 85' flats puts this bunch of photos somewhere a bit past the end of the steam era, though  a lot of the boxcars and conventional flats clearly are STMFCs. And to be clear, IIRC both XTRA Inc. and ICC approval of 40' trailers date from c1958.

As Dennis said, cool pictures!

Jack Mullen

Mike Clements

Damn, I think I meant XTRA. I always get the two mixed up.
--
Mike Clements
Wakefield, MA