Photos: GATX/DuPont Tank Car 63321 (Circa 1940s)

Bob Chaparro

Photos: GATX/DuPont Tank Car 63321 (Circa 1940s)

Photos from the Hagley Digital Archives:

https://digital.hagley.org/1972341_3685

https://digital.hagley.org/1972341_3686

Scroll on the photos to enlarge them.

Good shot of placard.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bob Chaparro

Additional photo:

https://digital.hagley.org/1972341_3687

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Bob and List Members,

If you zoom way, way in there, you can read that the placard sez

KEEP LIGHTS AND FIRES AWAY
DANGEROUS
MOTOR FUEL ANTIKNOCK COMPOUND
HANDLE CAREFULLY

Also, once again zomming way, way in there, you can see a black tank car with possible reporting marks DOWX 3814 (something of a guess on my part)

Claus Schlund

Photos: GATX/DuPont Tank Car 63321 (Circa 1940s)

Photos from the Hagley Digital Archives:

https://digital.hagley.org/1972341_3685

https://digital.hagley.org/1972341_3686

Scroll on the photos to enlarge them.

Good shot of placard.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

kevinhlafferty

Those are both great pictures! The first photo is a very modellable scene (assuming one can find or build some 3000 gal. insulated tank cars).

Kevin Lafferty

Tony Thompson

Bob Chaparro wrote:

Photos: GATX/DuPont Tank Car 63321 (Circa 1940s)
Photos from the Hagley Digital Archives:
Scroll on the photos to enlarge them.

You can also double-click on the photo to enlarge. The end view (above) not only shows the 3008 gallon capacity, but as you enlarge you can clearly see the side and end jacket sheets connected with bolts and nuts, likewise the top and bottom of the side jacketing. Many modelers continue to believe these are rivets.

Tony Thompson

John Barry

Claus,

The DOWX car is 3814_  with the last digit obscured by the plant piping.  It should be an 8000 gallon car with heater coils.  38141 & 38149 were insulated and had a 241 gal domes.  38142-147 were not insulated and had 252 gal domes. 38148 insulated with 261 gal dome was used for paradichorbenzene.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

On Friday, April 16, 2021, 06:07:05 PM EDT, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi Bob and List Members,

If you zoom way, way in there, you can read that the placard sez

KEEP LIGHTS AND FIRES AWAY
DANGEROUS
MOTOR FUEL ANTIKNOCK COMPOUND
HANDLE CAREFULLY

Also, once again zomming way, way in there, you can see a black tank car with possible reporting marks DOWX 3814 (something of a guess on my part)

Claus Schlund

Photos: GATX/DuPont Tank Car 63321 (Circa 1940s)

Photos from the Hagley Digital Archives:

https://digital.hagley.org/1972341_3685

https://digital.hagley.org/1972341_3686

Scroll on the photos to enlarge them.

Good shot of placard.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

kevinhlafferty

Time to pull out the way back machine. This may be a hopeless request, but in searching for additional info on these DuPont 3K gallon lead tank cars I found a reference to a May 1960 RMC article about scratch building a 3K gallon tank car by Chuck Youngkurth. The earliest RMCs I have are '64 and most on-line dealers believe these old magazines were printed on Unobtainium. Does anyone possibly remember this article and is it worth the cost of obtaining a copy?
Thanks,
Kevin Lafferty

mel perry

kevin;
if you belong to the nmra  you can have
their library make copies for you, probably cheaper than epay
;-)

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021, 12:02 PM kevinhlafferty <khlafferty@...> wrote:
Time to pull out the way back machine. This may be a hopeless request, but in searching for additional info on these DuPont 3K gallon lead tank cars I found a reference to a May 1960 RMC article about scratch building a 3K gallon tank car by Chuck Youngkurth. The earliest RMCs I have are '64 and most on-line dealers believe these old magazines were printed on Unobtainium. Does anyone possibly remember this article and is it worth the cost of obtaining a copy?
Thanks,
Kevin Lafferty

Charlie Vlk

All-

It is likely that the Illinois Railway Museum Store has the back copy of RMC that you are looking for.   They have tons of magazines donated to them on a regular basis so the cost is fairly reasonable.

Charlie Vlk

their library make copies for you, probably cheaper than epay

;-)

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021, 12:02 PM kevinhlafferty <khlafferty@...> wrote:

Time to pull out the way back machine. This may be a hopeless request, but in searching for additional info on these DuPont 3K gallon lead tank cars I found a reference to a May 1960 RMC article about scratch building a 3K gallon tank car by Chuck Youngkurth. The earliest RMCs I have are '64 and most on-line dealers believe these old magazines were printed on Unobtainium. Does anyone possibly remember this article and is it worth the cost of obtaining a copy?
Thanks,
Kevin Lafferty

Benjamin Hom

Kevin Lafferty asked:
"Time to pull out the way back machine. This may be a hopeless request, but in searching for additional info on these DuPont 3K gallon lead yank cars I found a reference to a May 1960 RMC article about scratch building a 3K gallon tank car by Chuck [Yungkurth]. The earliest RMCs I have are '64 and most on-line dealers believe these old magazines were printed on Unobtainium. Does anyone possibly remember this article and is it worth the cost of obtaining a copy?"

eBay turned up two listings for the May 1960 RMC:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Railroad-Model-Craftsman-Magazine-May-1960-RMC-Plate-Girder-Bridges/184663096667 ($7.95 + shipping)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Railroad-Model-Craftsman-Magazine-1960-May-RMC-Plate-girder-bridges-3000-Gal-tan/392873236750  ($5 + shipping)

Ben Hom

earlyrail

Walk over the my library and pulled it out.
No photos.  Basic drawing without dimensions.
Wood dowel construction.
Painted for a fictitious company

Still interested I will scan and send a copy

Howard Garner

Allan Smith

I have a copy of RMC May 1960. As soon as I can I will dig it out and send a copy of the article. It will be a few days as I am helping wire a house for a backup generator, should finish tomorrow. I can have the copy to you by Thursday. If you will send me your Email address I will send it directly to you.

Al Smith
Sonora CA
Smithal9@...

On Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 01:27:33 PM PDT, Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

Kevin Lafferty asked:
"Time to pull out the way back machine. This may be a hopeless request, but in searching for additional info on these DuPont 3K gallon lead yank cars I found a reference to a May 1960 RMC article about scratch building a 3K gallon tank car by Chuck [Yungkurth]. The earliest RMCs I have are '64 and most on-line dealers believe these old magazines were printed on Unobtainium. Does anyone possibly remember this article and is it worth the cost of obtaining a copy?"

eBay turned up two listings for the May 1960 RMC:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Railroad-Model-Craftsman-Magazine-May-1960-RMC-Plate-Girder-Bridges/184663096667 ($7.95 + shipping)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Railroad-Model-Craftsman-Magazine-1960-May-RMC-Plate-girder-bridges-3000-Gal-tan/392873236750  ($5 + shipping)

Ben Hom

Schuyler Larrabee

Well, Kevin, looks like you probably have scans of the article by Chuck Yungkurth.   But if you are still looking, I brought home a copy of the magazine from the North Shore club’s library last night.  As others said, only a scale drawing and a 1960’s version of how to scratchbuild the model, all wood and paper.  I’m sure the model you build will be enormously better (no disrespect to Chuck – he did the best possible in – lily – 1959 or so) and we all look forward to seeing photos of the results in . . . say . . . sometime in July??  😊

N.B., the copy I have is in a bound volume, so some distortion would be likely.

Schuyler