Topics

Photos: Loaded Automobile Boxcar Interior

Bob Chaparro

Tom in Texas

When would they have quit loading cars in box cars this way?

Tom in Texas

Jack Mullen

This shows the way it was done before development of Evans loaders . One end of the vehicle is lifted, with wheels removed, and the axle is supported with wooden A-frames. Wood blocking and wire tie-downs are used to prevent shifting.

At first I thought the load was three GM trucks, but there's another tall A-frame in the background, indicating that an  unseen fourth truck is loaded in the rear of the car, with its hood to the B end, and the rear elevated above the  chassis of the next which faces the camera.

Jack Mullen

al.kresse

No photo shows up

On October 18, 2019 at 5:15 PM Jack Mullen <jack.f.mullen@...> wrote:

This shows the way it was done before development of Evans loaders . One end of the vehicle is lifted, with wheels removed, and the axle is supported with wooden A-frames. Wood blocking and wire tie-downs are used to prevent shifting.

At first I thought the load was three GM trucks, but there's another tall A-frame in the background, indicating that an  unseen fourth truck is loaded in the rear of the car, with its hood to the B end, and the rear elevated above the  chassis of the next which faces the camera.

Jack Mullen

Jack Mullen

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 02:45 PM, al.kresse wrote:
No photo shows up
The photos are those linked in the original post from Bob Chaparro, to which I was responding. I'm discussing the hardware that Bob called attention to.
Sorry that I wasn't clearer.  It's easy to forget that these message forums aren't quite like an actual conversation. Chaos ensues.

Jack

Guy Wilber

Tom in Texas asked:

“When would they have quit loading cars in box cars this way?”

Tom,

The caption states these photos were taken in 1932. Within a year Evans would introduce ‘The Auto~Loader’ and NYC followed closely thereafter with their own permanently mounted racking system. Installation of these loading systems would eventually supplant the larger percentage of such methods used for tilting and decking vehicles within auto cars. The transition was rapid with 34,973 auto cars equipped with loaders by September of 1937.

Despite the totals of cars equipped, the original Evans racks (A and B) could not accommodate smaller trucks such as these GMC models, or some larger automobile models. Dual wheels and longer chassis made loading onto the racks nearly impossible. Many railroads owning auto cars did modify the racks to appease the auto industry. Evans would later (9-‘37) introduce racks with wider wheel pans and sliding frame components allowing multiple adjustments to accommodate larger automobiles and light trucks. The same early restrictions held true for The NYC design; that, and the fact that manufacturers did not like their “tire chain” tie downs is likely why the road eventually purchased Evans loaders exclusively.

It would be hard to answer your question precisely, but I would guess it would be somewhat rare to see automobiles or light trucks loaded by these methods much past the 1937-38 model years.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Tom and Guy,

Somewhere I've seen a photo taken in the 1950s of used cars being delivered to a team track for a small local auto dealer, I think on the C&O. The cars shipped were in a double-door boxcar without auto racks, or the racks were not used if present. I'm sure this was no longer done for new cars shipped by the major manufacturers, but non-rack shipping was apparently still possible.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 10/18/2019 10:37 PM, Guy Wilber via Groups.Io wrote:

Tom in Texas asked:

[...]

Tony Thompson

Remember that auto shipping by rail steadily shrank through the 50s, down to barely 10 percent of all shipments, until the introduction of auto racks in late 50s.
Tony Thompson

On Oct 19, 2019, at 9:58 AM, Garth Groff <sarahsan@...> wrote:

[...]

Guy, did you change your e-mail address AGAIN?

Al Kresse

Tom in Texas asked: