Topics

Photos: "New Roof" Stencil (1945-1946)

Bob Chaparro

Photos: "New Roof" Stencil (1945-1946)

Photos from the Denver Public Library:

https://digital.denverlibrary.org/digital/collection/p15330coll22/id/47332/rec/35

https://digital.denverlibrary.org/digital/collection/p15330coll22/id/47336/rec/38

https://digital.denverlibrary.org/digital/collection/p15330coll22/id/47339/rec/40

Click on the arrows in the upper right hand corner of the photos to enlarge them and scroll to enlarge them further.

The stencils are to the left of the door near the roofline. This stencil is new to me, maybe not to others.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Kenneth Montero

All three cars are stenciled as rebuilt in 1924 - same as the date on the "New Roof" stencil. It appears that the new roof was applied as part of a rebuilding of the boxcars.

The first and third car are marked for restricted loading - sugar, flour, clean cargo. I cannot tell what is the "public notice" posted on the door of the second car.

Ken Montero

On 11/20/2020 5:40 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photos: "New Roof" Stencil (1945-1946)

Photos from the Denver Public Library:

https://digital.denverlibrary.org/digital/collection/p15330coll22/id/47332/rec/35

https://digital.denverlibrary.org/digital/collection/p15330coll22/id/47336/rec/38

https://digital.denverlibrary.org/digital/collection/p15330coll22/id/47339/rec/40

Click on the arrows in the upper right hand corner of the photos to enlarge them and scroll to enlarge them further.

The stencils are to the left of the door near the roofline. This stencil is new to me, maybe not to others.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Thomas Evans

I believe those are Murphy roofs.
The 3000-series Rio Grande boxcars were extensively rebuilt about this time in the 1920's.
This roughly coincided with the addition of the larger Mikados & other improvements.
Note the rebuild dates in the lower right hand corner of the car side usually matches the new roof date.
I believe that they received steel center sills & body bolsters, etc. at this time.
I've always felt that they look oddly too small when compared to other narrow gauge equipment (especially the later 2-8-2 locomotives)
& wondered why the Rio Grande didn't go for larger cars.
I suppose it was a matter of cost.

Tom

np328

This struck an odd note and sure enough, my post 163462 has a partial image of a car with "New Plastic Roof" and some numbers in roughly the same position on the car here:
https://tile.loc.gov/storage-services/service/pnp/fsa/8a04000/8a04700/8a04764v.jpg
More than just a coincidence and another day, another modeling mystery.                                             Jim Dick - St. Paul, MN

Schuyler Larrabee

I’ve never noticed the X-bracing on the inside of a car’s roof.  Unusual, or no?

Schuyler

This struck an odd note and sure enough, my post 163462 has a partial image of a car with "New Plastic Roof" and some numbers in roughly the same position on the car here:
https://tile.loc.gov/storage-services/service/pnp/fsa/8a04000/8a04700/8a04764v.jpg
More than just a coincidence and another day, another modeling mystery.                                             Jim Dick - St. Paul, MN

np328

 Schuyler,
        until you called this out I had never noticed this X-bracing either.   Of the cars found in this grouping I do not recall seeing a larger image of this car. Looking back again there does not seem to be one that includes a road name.  Of the number on the underframe, on the NP a 200xxx number indicates company service, and this car is clearly in general service so not NP.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Jim Dick - St. Paul, MN

Larry Wolohon

Those boxcars are D&RGW, 3' gauge cars, which were rebuilt many times. Larry Wolohon