Topics

Photos: PFE 36624 (R-40-2)

Bob Chaparro

Photos: PFE 36624 (R-40-2)

Undated photos from the Library of Congress, probably from the early 1940s:

https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/2017812535/

https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/2017812536/

The TIFF versions show the most details.

The second of these photos was published here in 2017.

On the first photo, notice the SP herald is a metal shield, not a painted on stencil.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Jack Mullen

John Vachon photos for FSA/OWI Chicago, July 1941.
Carload of onions. Note that they're packed in mesh bags and a temporary wooden deck is used to void stacking too high.

Jack Mullen

Dave Parker

You can actually read the date on the brake service stencil -- looks like 10-1-40 (or maybe 10-4-40).  K brakes had to be serviced every 15 months at this time, so that narrows the date of the photo better than if you could see the reweigh stencil.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 06:54 PM, Bob Chaparro wrote:
( snip )
Photos: PFE 36624 (R-40-2)

Undated photos from the Library of Congress, probably from the early 1940s:

https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/2017812535/

In Ted's recent blog post on his site, he goes over the PRR 2D-F8 truck variants in some detail, I suggest all interested take a look.

http://prototopics.blogspot.com/

In it, he mentions the ARA variant used on PFE reefers and in the above link from Bob, the PFE reefer has an ARA type Y truck as mentioned in Ted's blog.
In the TIFF version you can zoom in quite well on this interesting truck.

The one on this PFE reefer looks to have a lateral motion device, something not shown in Ted's blog.

On a side note, if anyone on this list has extra or unneeded RC X29 trucks they don't need or want, I and someone else on this list would like to get them.
We could put them to use.

Regards,
Dan Smith

Bill Welch

Who owns the tooling for the ex-Red Caboose PRR style trucks?

Bill Welch

Bruce Smith

This R-40-2 retains it's applied metal emblem.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

You can actually read the date on the brake service stencil -- looks like 10-1-40 (or maybe 10-4-40).  K brakes had to be serviced every 15 months at this time, so that narrows the date of the photo better than if you could see the reweigh stencil.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Aaron Heaney

00mal0komal iiizm0800zupu oil o you 99y5rzm and
Ll
Lfkml my