Photos: SCCX Tank Cars 167 & 169

Bob Chaparro

Photos: SCCX Tank Cars 167 & 169

Photo by Stephen R. Santangelo on the Facebook The Freight Car Enthusiast group.

He comments (2021):

“Caught these nearly 40 years ago at the refineries near the Los Angeles/Long Beach Harbors...Spent many years shooting in this area.”

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bruce Smith

Folks,

I wonder if these were 1st responder training cars? The assortment of hatch types seems a little odd otherwise.

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of "Bob Chaparro via groups.io" <chiefbobbb@...>
Date: Wednesday, June 22, 2022 at 1:37 PM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] [RealSTMFC] Photos: SCCX Tank Cars 167 & 169

Dennis Storzek <dennis@...>

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 11:45 AM, Bruce Smith wrote:
I wonder if these were 1st responder training cars? The assortment of hatch types seems a little odd otherwise.
That and the added railings. The railings around the center dome on the car in the first look to be built of temporary scaffold railing parts.

Dennis Storzek

Jack Mullen

The markings also suggest that these are for training rather than actual service. SCCX 169 is marked CAPY XXXXXX LTWT XXXXXX, and the third compartment is marked BUTANE. Both cars have dashed lines delimiting the compartments, and neither car has the normal  stencilled tank data.  I wish I could read the other lettering.
Maybe these are for emergency response training, or perhaps for training loading/unloading personnel, or both.

Jack Mullen