Topics

pickle cars in California (was Re: Heinz plant locations)

Tim O'Connor

It happened. Not a lot. But it happened. Photo from Roseville CA in 1940.

On 7/16/2020 4:47 PM, Dave Parker via groups.io wrote:
And, as for seeing Heinz cars:

In 1926, the fleet was 115 cars, 41 of them reefers

By 1935, the reefers were gone and there were 35 pickle tank cars and 10 vinegar tank cars

Slightly different mix in 1945, but only 38 cars total (and no reefers).

I'm tempted to say that the probability of seeing an HJHX car at any particular location was pretty darn low.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Sterling, Massachusetts

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Tim,

Thanks for the Heinz photo. I just noticed something I've never seen before. The two tanks on this car are slightly sway-backed. My best guess is that there is a corresponding bulge on the bottom to facilitate complete draining. All the model wooden tank cars I've ever seen are absolutely straight.

I never saw a Heinz car, but I did spot a similar Standard Brands tank car around 1976 in Oakland. It was in a small SP yard along the freeway, and there was no way I could have ever gotten a photo. (Sigh!)

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff ¬†ūü¶Ü

On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 4:53 PM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

It happened. Not a lot. But it happened. Photo from Roseville CA in 1940.

On 7/16/2020 4:47 PM, Dave Parker via groups.io wrote:
And, as for seeing Heinz cars:

In 1926, the fleet was 115 cars, 41 of them reefers

By 1935, the reefers were gone and there were 35 pickle tank cars and 10 vinegar tank cars

Slightly different mix in 1945, but only 38 cars total (and no reefers).

I'm tempted to say that the probability of seeing an HJHX car at any particular location was pretty darn low.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Sterling, Massachusetts

Attachments:

Bill J.

It ISN'T a pickle cars it IS a vinegar car.

Vinegar as so corrosive that for many years, it was shipped in wood tanks.  This is a wood tank on a steel underframe.  Vinegar went everywhere!

Overland brought in a few brass cars quite a few years ago.

Bill Jolitz

Gene Deimling

Pickles and vinegar have little in common other than they shipped in wood vats or tanks.   I have not found any information on salting stations within Cali.  Pickles were packed in the Seattle area by Nalleys.

Vinegar production facilities did exist in California.  There was a large plant in the East Bay for a number of years. Some of the wine produced in California ended up as vinegar.

Gene Deimling

There was a Nalley's Fine Foods on the Los Angeles Junction Ry (LAJ) Owens Lead. They had 8 spots on their spur that received frozen foods, bulk corn, spuds & other. No mention of pickles or vinegar in the LAJ Industry List. Their address is/was 5001 So. Soto St 90058. Use that address to see it on historicaerials.com & Bing or Google aerials.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

ÔĽŅ
Hi Gene and List Members,

I don't know if this is a 'salting station', but the image linked below proclaims itself to be the PACIFIC VINEGAR & PICKLE WORKS in Hayward CA. It is served by rail. No pickle cars in sight, but that does not mean there weren't any ever there!

Claus Schlund