Topics

Piedmont & Northern 1101 Styrene and Resin Build Part One

brianleppert@att.net

The "C.S." stands for cast steel, which describes most trucks.

  I've felt these are late versions of Bettendorf T Section trucks, where instead of the upper chords terminating at the upper inboard corners of the journal boxes, the top profile extends over the boxes and curves down into the upper outer corners.  The whole side frame profile is similar to early U section one piece side frames.

Brian Leppert
Tahoe Model Works
Carson City, NV

Paul Doggett

Garth

Thank you for answer.

Paul Doggett. England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Guy Wilber

Garth Groff wrote:

“The side frames are "C.S. Integral Box" design, or so says the data on these cars in Million and Paton's PERE MARQUETTE REVENUE FREIGHT CARS.”

“Cast Steel” is more likely which is about as helpful as using “ARA” or “AAR” truck to label a manufacturers’ side frame.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

Schleigh Mike

Hello Group!

The P&N 1101 car is surely an intriguing car and Bill is doing a nice job on the model as his reported work already attests.

I have handy at the moment only my October 1958 ORER and these cars therein are listed as PN 1100-1124, 15 cars.  Helpfully, the "vacant" numbers are also listed.  These are the only cars listed for the P&N.  However, another note indicates, "Freight cars owned are not used in interchange service."  This being the case, it would seem likely that these 15 cars were for on-line LCL service and not ever found off-line unless for some other dedicated (return when empty to PN Ry.) service.  Is there any objective evidence that these cars did go off-line?  If not, does such reality quench interest in modeling such a car?  Obviously, this is not an issue with one modeling the P&N.  Of course, in an earlier time, perhaps these cars were out there roaming.  Is this known?

Regards from Grove City, Penna.    Mike Schleigh

On Thursday, August 29, 2019, 1:50:03 PM EDT, Curt Fortenberry <curtfortenberry@...> wrote:

mike turner

My guess about the car to the left is it's a caboose with the left half of the X number visible. Some subsidiary of Southern maybe.

On Thursday, August 29, 2019, 1:50:03 PM EDT, Curt Fortenberry <curtfortenberry@...> wrote:

_._,_._,_

Mike Turner
MP-Z35

Tony Thompson

Achleigh Mike wrote:

I have handy at the moment only my October 1958 ORER and these cars therein are listed as PN 1100-1124, 15 cars.  Helpfully, the "vacant" numbers are also listed.  These are the only cars listed for the P&N.  However, another note indicates, "Freight cars owned are not used in interchange service."

In April 1950, the ORER shows all 25 cars but has the same note about interchange that Mike quotes. In a 1940 ORER, the P&N listings says "Freight Cars Owned:  None."

Tony Thompson

Donald B. Valentine

   Thank you Steve Hile not only for coming up with the reporting marks and car number that I could not quite make out but also for the reference to a great site for freight car photos. I've just spent an hour in that treasure trove and felt like a kid in a candy store.
Hard to find that many photos from the late 1940's to the mid 1950's in one place today. What a super site!

Cordially, Don Valentine

Bill Welch

On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 05:46 PM, Schleigh Mike wrote:

[...]

I could care less if the real thing interchanged. Model RR'ing is play for me.
Bill Welch