From: <PlasticFreightCarBuiilders@PlasticFreightCarBuiilders.groups.io> on behalf of "Clark Propst via groups.io" <cepropst@...>
Date: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 11:17 AM
To: <main@PlasticFreightCarBuiilders.groups.io>, <PlasticFreightCarBuiilders@PlasticFreightCarBuiilders.groups.io>
Subject: [Plastic Freight Car Builders] CNW 87232

I just finished a kitbash of an Intermountain AAR 1937 modified box car with their PS1 ends and roof to make a riveted PS1. I thought I’d use Kadee ladders to get the straight stile style used on the ends of the 48 blt cars. They turned out to be a pain. I didn’t drill holes for their pegs, just cut them off and acced them to the sides/ends. I noticed one had skewed again from handling. If I attempt to use them again I’ll drill a few holes. I had no issues with their bracket  grabs. Again I snipped off two of the mounting pegs and glued them into the holes already in the car sides. Another battle I fought was with the hand brake/retainer valve combo. Took me awhile to realize the part was for the AAR car and therefore the pegs wouldn’t fit in the predrilled holes in the PS1 ends...In hindsight I wish I’d used the Kadee parts...I did add a bit of styrene for the trust plate on the upper left of the sides and use a Kadee running board. I had to make the end bracket grab, I used one end of a bracket grab on the right and a piece of wire bent in an L attached to it and into a hole on the left. Painted with Tamiya Gray primer and Tru-color CNW freight car color, Speedwitch decals. I do have a complaint about that set. There’s no PS builders stencil, or new bearing pack info, both show on builders photos from RPCyc 1. Had to scrounge them for saved scraps. Lastly I airbrushed on Dullcote and went over the roof with a Dullcote brown tint mix. Modeling 48 – 50 makes the car new or nearly new.

Painting these CNW PS1 is one where guys go with their gut. It appeared to me that ‘maybe’ all the other series had black car cement ends and roofs. I do have a color photo of this series all bcr, a repaint? I’ve actually climbed up and looks at the roofs on these cars. It’s possible they were not painted, just the seam caps and rivet lines around the  perimeter were tarred and painted color color?

Clark Propst

Mason City Iowa

Rich C

Clark, Pierre has a Kadee ladder drilling template along with the Kadee grab iron template (both sides and ends)

Rich Christie

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021, 11:42:00 AM CDT, BRIAN PAUL EHNI <bpehni@...> wrote:

I would like to find one of the following cars in order to recreate the attached photo.

https://www.intermountain-railway.com/ho/html/45808.htm

Owatonna Tool Company was owned by my mother’s side of the family.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <PlasticFreightCarBuiilders@PlasticFreightCarBuiilders.groups.io> on behalf of "Clark Propst via groups.io" <cepropst@...>
Date: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 11:17 AM
To: <main@PlasticFreightCarBuiilders.groups.io>, <PlasticFreightCarBuiilders@PlasticFreightCarBuiilders.groups.io>

[...]

Charlie Vlk

Brian-

It appears you need to look for a 10’-6” IH AAR box car with a Youngstown door.   Need to check if the roof is a Viking or some other type.

You might get lucky and find a C&NW that only needs to have the number changed.

Here is a pdf of the banner.   Since it is on a white background I would size the boxcar on my drawing to HO and print out the banner as a separate image on white decal stock.  The banner not on the car has a slight black border to use as a guide to cut the banner to size.

It should just fit between the door and the ladder.

Have Fun!!

Charlie Vlk

Charlie Vlk

All-

I could not tell from the photo if the car had riveted sides.  I sent out the reply before looking at Clark’s post.

Charlie Vlk

[...]

Tim O'Connor

CNW 71838 is from series 71000-71998 built 1941 GATC (VIKING Roof)

On 6/15/2021 4:35 PM, Charlie Vlk wrote:

Brian-

It appears you need to look for a 10’-6” IH AAR box car with a Youngstown door.   Need to check if the roof is a Viking or some other type.

You might get lucky and find a C&NW that only needs to have the number changed.

Here is a pdf of the banner.   Since it is on a white background I would size the boxcar on my drawing to HO and print out the banner as a separate image on white decal stock.  The banner not on the car has a slight black border to use as a guide to cut the banner to size.

It should just fit between the door and the ladder.

Have Fun!!

Charlie Vlk

Attachments:

_._,_._,_

Sterling, Massachusetts

The photo seems to show a P-S builder logo, like Clark’s build…

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Date: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 4:48 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

CNW 71838 is from series 71000-71998 built 1941 GATC (VIKING Roof)

On 6/15/2021 4:35 PM, Charlie Vlk wrote:

Brian-

It appears you need to look for a 10’-6” IH AAR box car with a Youngstown door.   Need to check if the roof is a Viking or some other type.

You might get lucky and find a C&NW that only needs to have the number changed.

Here is a pdf of the banner.   Since it is on a white background I would size the boxcar on my drawing to HO and print out the banner as a separate image on white decal stock.  The banner not on the car has a slight black border to use as a guide to cut the banner to size.

It should just fit between the door and the ladder.

Have Fun!!

Charlie Vlk

Attachments:

John Barry

Brian,

Thanks for posting the family related photo!  Although Joshua Hendy was in Sunnyvale at the other end of SF Bay, my layout serves the Kaiser Richmond yards that Hendy made scads of engines for.

Charlie,

Although the actual routing was likely CNW UP SP, through Omaha and Ogden, if the Rock Island agent had better steaks, it might have gone CRIP  ATSF  SP through Kansas City.  With that banner, I can almost see the final interchange at the Richmond Inner Harbor around shift change at Kaiser.  Thanks for the scale banner.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021, 04:36:03 PM EDT, Charlie Vlk <cvlk@...> wrote:

Brian-

It appears you need to look for a 10’-6” IH AAR box car with a Youngstown door.   Need to check if the roof is a Viking or some other type.

You might get lucky and find a C&NW that only needs to have the number changed.

Here is a pdf of the banner.   Since it is on a white background I would size the boxcar on my drawing to HO and print out the banner as a separate image on white decal stock.  The banner not on the car has a slight black border to use as a guide to cut the banner to size.

It should just fit between the door and the ladder.

Have Fun!!

Charlie Vlk

My pleasure. One of my uncles flew into Goose Bay, Labrador, and got a tour of a Liberty Ship there. The OTC tools were still there in the 70’s.

Thanks!
Brian Ehni
(Sent from my iPhone)

On Jun 15, 2021, at 9:09 PM, John Barry <northbaylines@...> wrote:

[...]

You are correct. A typo in my notes...

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Date: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 4:48 PM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

CNW 71838 is from series 71000-71998 built 1941 GATC (VIKING Roof)

Sterling, Massachusetts

Thanks to Charlie Vlk, Ebay, Des Plains Hobby, and my Champ decal stash, I can recreate this car (almost). Just need the 6’ doors, which I’ve ordered from Kadee.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <PlasticFreightCarBuiilders@PlasticFreightCarBuiilders.groups.io> on behalf of "Clark Propst via groups.io" <cepropst@...>
Date: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 11:17 AM
To: <main@PlasticFreightCarBuiilders.groups.io>, <PlasticFreightCarBuiilders@PlasticFreightCarBuiilders.groups.io>

[...]

Does anyone have a good choice for the box car red used on Intermountain CNW box cars with the “Route of the Challengers” logo? AAR 1937 10’6”. I bought some Kadee Youngstown doors, but they are nowhere near a match, and I’d hate to have to paint the whole thing. BTW, I printed the sign decals today using the artwork provided by Charlie Vlk.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni