Topics

Pleasanton and WinterRail?

tgmadden <tgmadden@...>

The past couple of years Martin Lofton has set up shop at WinterRail on the
Saturday preceding his Pleasanton meet. Is that happening this year? Martin
hasn't sent me any info since last fall (hey, I'm just a speaker), and I
can't find any mention of WinterRail in my hobby magazines. If it is, where
the heck is WinterRail? I need to get my accommodations nailed down.

Thanks,

Tom Madden

tgmadden@...

Shawn Beckert

Tom,

Winterail will be at Stockton, CA at the Scottish Rite Temple on
Alpine St. I think tickets for the show are sold out, but you can
still get into the swap meet. My question is, where is Pleasanton
in relation to Stockton, and what's the easiest way to get there?

Shawn Beckert

The past couple of years Martin Lofton has set up shop at WinterRail on the
Saturday preceding his Pleasanton meet. Is that happening this year? Martin
hasn't sent me any info since last fall (hey, I'm just a speaker), and I
can't find any mention of WinterRail in my hobby magazines. If it is, where
the heck is WinterRail? I need to get my accommodations nailed down.

Thanks,

Tom Madden

tgmadden@...

bhom3@...

Shawn Beckert asked:

"Where is Pleasanton in relation to Stockton, and what's the easiest
way to get there?"

Pleasnton is 50 miles to the west of Stockton towards the Bay. Head
south on I-5 to the I-205 shortcut to I-580, then west on I-580 to
the San Ramon Rd/Foothills Rd exit (first exit west of 680); take
Foothills Rd south about 1 block to Dublin Canyon Rd, hang a right,
and the Crowne Plaza Hotel is at 11950 Dublin Canyon Rd.

Ben Hom

Jeff Aley - GCD PE <jaley@...>

On Feb 21, 11:02am, Beckert, Shawn wrote:
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Pleasanton and WinterRail?
My question is, where is Pleasanton
in relation to Stockton, and what's the easiest way to get there?

The best thing to do is to check an on-line map, such as at MapQuest.

In any case, the best way is to get on I-5 South from Stockton, and take
it to I-205 West (the only way you can go), which takes you to I-580.
Take I-580 West (toward Livermore) to I-680. Take I-680 South (toward
San Jose). 680 goes through Pleasanton, and the hotel (if it's the same
as last year) is right next to the freeway.

On a Saturday or Sunday, I'd guess that the trip from Stockton to
Pleasanton would take about an hour.

Regards,

-Jeff

--
Jeff Aley, Development Engineer jaley@...
Graphics Components Division

Richard Hendrickson

The past couple of years Martin Lofton has set up shop at WinterRail on the
Saturday preceding his Pleasanton meet. Is that happening this year? Martin
hasn't sent me any info since last fall (hey, I'm just a speaker), and I
can't find any mention of WinterRail in my hobby magazines. If it is, where
the heck is WinterRail? I need to get my accommodations nailed down.
Tom, it's often possible to buy extra tickets at the door. In any case,
the slide shows are devoted almost entirely to more modern subjects these
days, though the swap meet often yields some interesting photos, books and
such - but you have to get there early as the good stuff usually goes
quickly. In a couple of previous years, Tony and I have stayed on the
Friday night before Winterail at the Super 8 motel just off Interstate 5 at
March Lane in Stockton. It's relatively bare bones but clean and quiet,
reasonably close to the Winterail site, and the room rate is only about $50
a night. FWIW, there's also a Super 8 in Pleasanton close to the hotel
that hosts Martin's seminar. The rate is higher there, but nothing's cheap
in Pleasanton.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520