Topics

[PM-list] NYC 90 ton flat

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D. <smithbf@...>

I asked the PM-list:
I am working on an ECW 90 ton depressed center flat in HO and a pair of the
same from GHQ in N and would like to decorate all of them in appropraite
NYC paint/decals. Are there any photographs of this flat available? What
color did the NYC paint these cars?
George Hollwedel replied
If you get answers back direct, please send me cc's as I am doing the N
ones as well.

Hi George,

Well, the silence has been deafening. It's sort of funny to me, as PRR
modeler, since I have the feeling that if this had been a PRR question, I
would have had an answer within a few hours...I guess there isn't much
interest in the NYC out there <G-DUCKING!!!!>

I did find some drawings of the cars at George Elwoods amazing site:
http://www.dnaco.net/~gelwood/

the specific drawings are at:
http://gelwood.railfan.net/other/nyc/nyc-f21.gif
and car data at
http://gelwood.railfan.net/other/nyc/nyc-f22.gif

Unfortunately, these do not provide painting information, but I chose to
believe that these cars would have remained black into the mid 1950's. I
decaled my GHQ model with the available decals for #499030, a car built as
part of the original order in 1928 and with a capacity of 90.5 tons. I
found that the decal sheets from GHQ contained only minimal decals (things
like the blt date are missing and the car data is wrong) and I think that
at least some of the decals were a bit oversized, but I chose in this case
to simply follow the available GHQ decals. In reality, it painted and
decaled up into a nice little heavyweight flat after I tossed the supplied
grabs, and bent my own, and bottom mounted the supplied stirrup steps
(instead of mounting them on the side as the instructions suggest). My
brother seemed quite pleased to find it under the tree this Holiday season!
My HO model is still in construction, so I'm hoping for better information
for it!

Happy Rails
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D.
Scott-Ritchey Research Center
334-844-5587, 334-844-5850 (fax)
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

__
/ &#92;
|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ |
| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; | ||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Richard Hendrickson

I asked the PM-list:
I am working on an ECW 90 ton depressed center flat in HO and a pair of the
same from GHQ in N and would like to decorate all of them in appropraite
NYC paint/decals. Are there any photographs of this flat available? What
color did the NYC paint these cars?
I have both builder's and in-service photos of these cars which show both
original and later lettering arrangements. Though both photos are b/w, it
appears to me that, in both the 1941 builder's shot and the 1943 in-service
photo, the cars are painted mineral red; perhaps Jeff English can enlighten
us further on this subject. I can scan my photos for you if you can
receive JPEG files.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

John Nehrich <nehrij@...>

Richard - I ran to my Cycs. thinking this would be an easy task to post a
picture, but realized I could find any. If you can send me the scan(s), I'd
be glad to post them on our ECW section so other people can refer to them,
too. - John

[...]

Thanks! I'll take those JPEGs! The builders photo must be of the third
group of 14 cars, #499050-68, built in 1941 in East Rochester (I grew up
just down the street!). The first two batches of 5 cars each were built
for the NYC (499030-34) and the B&A (17100-04) in 1928. I'm not sure where
I saw the post, but I thought that I had seen a post indicatiung that NYC
flats were originally black and were repainted mineral red in the mid '50s.
Of course, I looked over Jeff English's recent reply on NYC repaints, and
it led me to wonder if that weren't the mid 40's <G>. Additionally, this
could also lead to the interesting possibility that the '41 cars were
painted red from the beginning while in my era (1944), the 1928 cars may
still have been black (given that I saw a Freight car color PRR lettered
flat roll past my street in Auburn AL a couple of months ago!). I'm
looking forward to the scans and thanks again!