Topics

[PM-list] WofA PS-1 Model

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D. <smithbf@...>

I'm cross posting this in hopes of getting some insight from y'all sorry
for any dupes!

Last week Stu Thayer posted to the PM-list:
Today I finished a model that I started quite a while ago. It is a Western
Railway of Alabama 40' PS-1. I started with an IM kit, and used a custom set
of decals done by Curt Fortenberry. I really like this car. But then again
I like all of the cars belonging to the roads that made up the Georgia Group
of railroads.
Stu, and anyone else who cares to comment...

A couple of years ago, I picked up a dry transfer set from Campbell Road (I
think) of S&A and A&WP (I believe) boxcars. The data sets led me to
believe that they were appropriate for 1937 40' AAR, 10'6" interior height
cars. Is this true? What did these roads have in this style? Any
additional guides/comments on color etc.

I can't do the PS-1 thing as it too modern for me (yeah, I pass on all
those Kadee boxcars Jim)

Happy Rails
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D.
Scott-Ritchey Research Center
334-844-5587, 334-844-5850 (fax)
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

__
/ &#92;
|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ |
| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; | ||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

ibs4421@...

Bruce,
According to my NEB&W Guide to Steam-Era Freight Car Modeling A&WP
had the following:
11 Panel Pratt Truss Boxcars, 60 blt. in 1944, w/ Youngtown doors
16 boxcars X29 type?

Wof A had:
11Panel Pratt Truss Boxcars, 65 blt. 1944 w/ Youngstown doors

Both roads had PS-1's, but as you said, too lat efor your era. If either of
these roads had the 1937 type boxcar, John N. didn't list them. I would
check the RPI site for more up to date info though.
George Campbell is one of the nicest fellers you'd want to do business
with, but you've gotta watch him on what schemes he assigns to which cars.
His L&N sheet is great except that all of the dimensional data is done in
gothic, and it should be in Roman. I know some of the more experienced
L&Ners informed me of some of the other faults with his sheets, but I have
forgotten most all of them. Caveat Emptor in other words. I am getting all
of my L&N and NC&StL coal hopper decals from Curt Fortenberry for now on.

Warren
Roll Tide!!! <VBG>

[...]

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin
Franklin
__
/ &#92;
|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ |
| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; | ||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Bruce:

The panel pratt truss boxcars Warren is speaking of were AAR cars with
wooden sides. These were so-called "war emergency" cars. I think
Sunshine Models offered resin kits for them. They are unlike anything
else that has ever been modeled (except a similar NKP car was once
offered in brass).

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

ibs4421@... wrote:

According to my NEB&W Guide to Steam-Era Freight Car Modeling A&WP
had the following:
11 Panel Pratt Truss Boxcars, 60 blt. in 1944, w/ Youngtown doors
16 boxcars X29 type?

Wof A had:
11Panel Pratt Truss Boxcars, 65 blt. 1944 w/ Youngstown doors

Ted Culotta <ted@...>

Can anyone inform me as to how I might obtain a listing of Curt's decals
along with ordering information?

Thanks.

I'm cross posting this in hopes of getting some insight from y'all sorry
for any dupes!

Last week Stu Thayer posted to the PM-list:
Today I finished a model that I started quite a while ago. It is a
Western
Railway of Alabama 40' PS-1. I started with an IM kit, and used a custom
set
of decals done by Curt Fortenberry. I really like this car. But then
again
I like all of the cars belonging to the roads that made up the Georgia
Group
of railroads.
Stu, and anyone else who cares to comment...

A couple of years ago, I picked up a dry transfer set from Campbell Road
(I
think) of S&A and A&WP (I believe) boxcars. The data sets led me to
believe that they were appropriate for 1937 40' AAR, 10'6" interior height
cars. Is this true? What did these roads have in this style? Any
additional guides/comments on color etc.

I can't do the PS-1 thing as it too modern for me (yeah, I pass on all
those Kadee boxcars Jim)

Happy Rails
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D.
Scott-Ritchey Research Center
334-844-5587, 334-844-5850 (fax)
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin
Franklin
__
/ &#92;
|- ______/ O O &#92;_______ -| | __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ |
| / 4999 PENNSYLVANIA 4999 &#92; | ||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||__||
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0

ibs4421@...

Yes Garth,

Sunshine kit # SUN-29.1 Atlanta & West Point War Emergency Boxcar

Warren

The panel pratt truss boxcars Warren is speaking of were AAR cars with
wooden sides. These were so-called "war emergency" cars. I think
Sunshine Models offered resin kits for them. They are unlike anything
else that has ever been modeled (except a similar NKP car was once
offered in brass).

Richard Hendrickson

Bruce Smith wrote:

A couple of years ago, I picked up a dry transfer set from Campbell Road (I
think) of S&A and A&WP (I believe) boxcars. The data sets led me to
believe that they were appropriate for 1937 40' AAR, 10'6" interior height
cars. Is this true? What did these roads have in this style? Any
additional guides/comments on color etc.
Bruce, as of 8/47 the S&A had no AAR steel box cars of any description,
though by 1950 they had acquired 50 cars numbered 8200-8249 which have the
dimensions of 10'6" IH AAR cars (but may also have been PS-1s - I can't
locate a photo of one).

The A&WP and WofA, on the other hand received a hundred 10'0" IH AAR steel
box cars from Pullman-Standard in 12-41, 60 of which became WofA
17300-17359 while the other 40 went the A&WP as their 37300-37339. These
cars had 4-5 W-corner-post Dreadnuaght ends, Murphy rectangular panel
roofs, Youngstown corrugated doors, Miner hand brakes, and AAR
self-aligning spring-plankless trucks. The A&WP also owned another 25 cars
of the same dimensions numbered 37500-37524, though I'm not sure when/where
they were built.

In September of 1947 another hundred steel box cars of AAR design, this
time with 10'6" IH, were delivered, 50 to the WofA as 17600-17649 and the
other 50 to the A&WP as 37600-37649. I don't know the builder on these,
but they had 4-4 Improved Dreadnaught ends, Murphy rectangular panel roofs,
postwar Youngstown corrugated doors, Ajax hand brakes, and ASF A-3 Ride
Control trucks.

When new, both the 1941 and 1947 cars were painted black with aluminum
sides, black doors, black paint behind the side ladders, and black
stenciling. In later years, they were mineral red with white stenciling.

I have photos of the WofA cars I could sca and send as JPEG files, if that
would be helpful.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520

ibs4421@...

Richard,
This is really great info, would you mind if I forwarded your
post to the L&N RR list? there are some guys on there who I am sure would
find it interesting.

Warren "Whatshizname" Dickinson
At the end of the E&G Branch, L&N

Richard Hendrickson

Richard,
This is really great info, would you mind if I forwarded your
post to the L&N RR list? there are some guys on there who I am sure would
find it interesting.
No problem, Warren. You're free to share anything I post. (If I'm making
it up out of whole cloth, I'll warn you in advance).

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520