Topics

Pool Car Distribution?

Bob Chaparro

Pool Car Distribution?

A photo from the Gateway To Oklahoma History website:

https://gateway.okhistory.org/ark:/67531/metadc1120661/m1/1/?q=Cold%20Storage

Photo can be enlarged quite a bit.

The sign on the building reads, "Pool Car Distribution".

Can someone elaborate on this?

Thanks.

Bonus: FGEX 14921 in the foreground.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

mopacfirst

This structure looks like it's on the west side (the town side) of the Santa Fe elevated ROW through downtown.  Best guess is that it's north of the Santa Fe station, which still exists at the southeast edge of downtown.  But broad swathes of OKC were urban renewed (demolished) in the 1960s so I'm sure this structure is gone.

Ron Merrick

Bob Chaparro

It's gone. As the description had an address I was able to do a Google Street View search.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Dennis Storzek

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 06:47 PM, Bob Chaparro wrote:

The sign on the building reads, "Pool Car Distribution".

Can someone elaborate on this?

I assume you are asking about the term "pool car" and not the building? I suspect it refers to the practice of a shipper loading freight for multiple customers on the same car, which was consigned to the cold storage warehouse where each customer could claim his portion of the shipment.

Dennis Storzek