Topics

Precision Scale retainer valve

Fred Jansz

Hi all,
here and there I read about a Precision Scale retainer valve being the ultimate part to use next to a brake wheel and housing on our precious HO-scale cars.
However, I can't find exactly which part number it is, brass and plastic are used in various topics
Plus in my old PSC catalogue these are parts for tenders...
Can anyone supply the part number please?
I'm modeliing 1950, so mostly AB brake and some K's.
Thanks & regards, Fred Jansz

O Fenton Wells

Precision Scale Retainer valves are HO-3263 in Brass and HO 31796 in plastic
Fenton Wells

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Nelson Moyer

I recommend plastic as they are easier to drill for 0.008 in. wire pipe.

Nelson Moyer

[...]

Thank you Fenton!
regards
Fred Jansz

Fred Jansz

Edited

Good one Nelson, that crossed my mind too.
regards,
Fred Jansz

O Fenton Wells

I use the plastic ones.
Enjoy
Fenton

On Oct 18, 2019, at 5:40 PM, Fred Jansz <fred@...> wrote:

Thank you Fenton!
regards
Fred Jansz

Bill Welch

These are very small. I leave a small section of sprue on to help me handle it, then trim it off after glue has cured. Needs a #77 hole for mounting on an end in my experience.

Bill Welch

Nelson Moyer

Bill makes a valid point about drilling on the sprue, and that’s the way I do it as well. I use a #79 bit for the wire, and there is a molded dimple on the retainer valve to help you start the bit. Bill’s comment about the #77 bit is for the mounting stub, i.e. drill that hole in the car body at the location where you want to place the retainer valve.

Nelson Moyer

These are very small. I leave a small section of sprue on to help me handle it, then trim it off after glue has cured. Needs a #77 hole for mounting on an end in my experience.

Bill Welch

Fred Jansz

Thanks all for good advise.
best regards,
Fred Jansz

Bryian Sones

Hello All,

I'm low on stock of the 585-31796 Retainer Valves. Does anyone know a hobby shop that still has these?

Thanks,

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

On Saturday, October 19, 2019, 12:38:14 AM PDT, Fred Jansz <fred@...> wrote:

Thanks all for good advise.
best regards,
Fred Jansz

mel perry

as a suggestion, try precisiion scale,
they are up and runniing
mel perry

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019, 5:24 PM Bryian Sones via Groups.Io <bryian.sones=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello All,

I'm low on stock of the 585-31796 Retainer Valves. Does anyone know a hobby shop that still has these?

Thanks,

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

On Saturday, October 19, 2019, 12:38:14 AM PDT, Fred Jansz <fred@...> wrote:

Thanks all for good advise.
best regards,
Fred Jansz

Jack Burgess

Here is their website…just call them and order what you need…

https://www.precisionscaleco.com/

Jack Burgess

I'm low on stock of the 585-31796 Retainer Valves. Does anyone know a hobby shop that still has these?

Thanks,

Bryian Sones

Union Pacific Prototype Modeler

Murrieta, CA

On Saturday, October 19, 2019, 12:38:14 AM PDT, Fred Jansz <fred@...> wrote:

Thanks all for good advise.
best regards,
Fred Jansz

Bryian Sones

Wasn't Precision Scale purchased by Blue Ridge Hobbies? If this correct I was told the were dropping this product from their offerings.

On Tuesday, October 22, 2019, 05:47:00 PM PDT, Jack Burgess <jack@...> wrote:

Here is their website…just call them and order what you need…

https://www.precisionscaleco.com/

Jack Burgess

I'm low on stock of the 585-31796 Retainer Valves. Does anyone know a hobby shop that still has these?

Thanks,

Bryian Sones

Union Pacific Prototype Modeler

Murrieta, CA

On Saturday, October 19, 2019, 12:38:14 AM PDT, Fred Jansz <fred@...> wrote:

Thanks all for good advise.
best regards,
Fred Jansz

Bryian Sones

They are also sold out.

On Tuesday, October 22, 2019, 06:09:40 PM PDT, Bryian Sones via Groups.Io <bryian.sones@...> wrote:

[...]

I think that they were purchased by a different hobby shop.

Jack

I'm low on stock of the 585-31796 Retainer Valves. Does anyone know a hobby shop that still has these?

Thanks,

Bryian Sones

Union Pacific Prototype Modeler

Murrieta, CA

On Saturday, October 19, 2019, 12:38:14 AM PDT, Fred Jansz <fred@...> wrote:

Thanks all for good advise.
best regards,
Fred Jansz

Bryian Sones

Ah,  ok. Thanks Jack!  I'll call Precision Scale direct as you suggested tomorrow.

I appreciate the response.

On Tuesday, October 22, 2019, 06:36:31 PM PDT, Jack Burgess <jack@...> wrote:

I think that they were purchased by a different hobby shop.

Jack

I'm low on stock of the 585-31796 Retainer Valves. Does anyone know a hobby shop that still has these?

Thanks,

Bryian Sones

Union Pacific Prototype Modeler

Murrieta, CA

On Saturday, October 19, 2019, 12:38:14 AM PDT, Fred Jansz <fred@...> wrote:

Thanks all for good advise.
best regards,
Fred Jansz

mel perry

precision scale was purchased by the
prantiles of eltopia, wa, (spokane)they also have
a epay shop, j-tprantiles, good people
to deal with
mel perry

On Tuesday, October 22, 2019, 06:09:40 PM PDT, Bryian Sones via Groups.Io <bryian.sones=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Dennis Storzek

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 07:26 PM, mel perry wrote:
precision scale was purchased by the
prantiles of eltopia, wa, (spokane)they also have
a epay shop, j-tprantiles, good people
to deal with
mel perry
They've also done business for years as PF&S Railway Supply, as both a distributor and retail shop. I agree, good people.

Dennis Storzek

Bryian Sones

Ah yes, I purchase a lot of stuff from their ebay store. Good to hear and know they are the owners. They have good customer service and very prompt shipping.

On Tuesday, October 22, 2019, 08:56:55 PM PDT, Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 07:26 PM, mel perry wrote:
precision scale was purchased by the
prantiles of eltopia, wa, (spokane)they also have
a epay shop, j-tprantiles, good people
to deal with
mel perry
They've also done business for years as PF&S Railway Supply, as both a distributor and retail shop. I agree, good people.

Dennis Storzek

Mel,

As a clarification, Eltopia is in central Washington, not eastern.  I used to go fishing in the Potholes area long ago, and we would pass through it on our way from the tri-cities.  I didnt want anyone to look for it on a trip to Spokane and be disappointed.  THAT would be terrible :>)

Best Regards,

Mike Aufderheide