Topics

Private-Wood sheathing differential weatheri

thomas christensen

The specification for the wood sides and slope sheets is 2 3/8" thick. The ACL used 1/4" steel sheet for replacement side and slope sheets. The side thickness on my modified ACL steel rebuild measures @ 4"(measured at the rib above the bolster). I don't have a wood  sheathed car to measure, but would guess it's  not different than the steel side version. Adding more than a decal to represent the wood interior results in a side many times to thick.
Tom Christensen

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 8:42 PM, Steve SANDIFER
<steve.sandifer@...> wrote:

If you look at the prototype photos, wood in the real cars added to the thickness too. It takes a thick piece of wood to equal the strength of a thin piece of steel.

J. Stephen Sandifer