Topics

PRR and other coke cars

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Folks;

Have any of you turned up any more on these cars?

https://digital.hagley.org/PRR_12857

Was there a method behind the madness of using wooden box cars, and not hoppers, for shipping potentially hot coke?

I have not found the correspondence on this, but would sure like to understand.

Elden Gatwood

mel perry

for sure, not hot coke, did the prr have any wood chip or saw dust business?
;-)
mel perry

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020, 1:30 PM Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

Folks;

Have any of you turned up any more on these cars?

https://digital.hagley.org/PRR_12857

Was there a method behind the madness of using wooden box cars, and not hoppers, for shipping potentially hot coke?

I have not found the correspondence on this, but would sure like to understand.

Elden Gatwood

Douglas Harding

Wasn’t the coke quenched in water before loading into cars?

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Have any of you turned up any more on these cars?

https://digital.hagley.org/PRR_12857

Was there a method behind the madness of using wooden box cars, and not hoppers, for shipping potentially hot coke?

I have not found the correspondence on this, but would sure like to understand.

Elden Gatwood

George Courtney

I don't know, but it would be cheaper to rebuild old boxcars than assign coal cars to coke service.  I do know by mid-1950's the Interstate had hoppers for use in coke service.

George Courtney

CJ Riley

Coke was quenched for cooling and handling as it came out of the ovens. Photos of beehive ovens show spigots and hoses between ovens. It could also be bagged for smaller deliveries.

Ray Hutchison

I'm a little bit curious about the doors on the inside of the car?

rh

Matt Smith

The Nickel Plate did this with several old Fowlers and later War Emergency SS box cars. For the doors they simply nailed up boards similar to grain boards.
--
Matt Smith
Bloomington, IL