PRR box cars

John Nehrich <nehrij@...>

I was looking at some early PRR box cars and it appears that all their box
cars prior to their
X29's had left-ward opening doors. Can anyone confirm this or does anyone
know any exceptions? - John

Larry King <ab8180@...>

At 12:41 PM 3/30/2001 -0500, you wrote:
I was looking at some early PRR box cars and it appears that all their box
cars prior to their
X29's had left-ward opening doors. Can anyone confirm this or does anyone
know any exceptions? - John
Don't forget the 9900 X-26 USRA SS boxcars with doors opening to the
right- I suppose only on the PRR would a group of nearly 10,000 cars be
thought of as "non-standard"!!!
L.R. King

John Nehrich <nehrij@...>

Larry - No, that's not why I didn't mention the USRA cars. They were built
to the government's
standards, not the individual road's, and at times forced down the throat of
the railroads that got them.
The reason I'm asking doesn't concern them anyway. There are a number
of wood box cars lettered for the PRR (Con-Cor old time ventilated car, MDC,
IHC). Being able to state that any prototype PRR cars that were close would
still be wrong due to the door is a nice lump statement on our freight car
guides
(http://www.union.rpi.edu/railroad/images/rolling-stock/Kits/Kit-Guide.html)
- John

PS - I think I already asked this group this question, but meant this to go
to the early rails group.

But while we are on PRR box cars, didn't all the X29's with REA lettering
get express trucks? And while I guess express box cars could travel in
regular trains, I'm guessing that would be uncommon - or would it be
common? - John

I was looking at some early PRR box cars and it appears that all their
box
cars prior to their
X29's had left-ward opening doors. Can anyone confirm this or does
anyone
know any exceptions? - John
Don't forget the 9900 X-26 USRA SS boxcars with doors opening to the
right- I suppose only on the PRR would a group of nearly 10,000 cars be
thought of as "non-standard"!!!
L.R. King

Richard Hendrickson

John Nehrich wrote:

But while we are on PRR box cars, didn't all the X29's with REA lettering
get express trucks?
No, in fact most of them kept their original trucks but got wrought steel
wheels and, in at least some cases, coil-elliptic springs.

And while I guess express box cars could travel in
regular trains, I'm guessing that would be uncommon - or would it be
common? - John
More common than you might think. When loaded, they almost always ran in
passenger or mail-express consists, but empty back-hauls were often in
freight trains, and sometimes they were loaded with non-express freight for
the return trip, which is why many express box cars had two sets of weight
data stenciled on them, one for express service and the other for freight
service.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520