Topics

PRR Freighy Car Paint Mix

WILLIAM PARDIE

Had a nice surprise this morning.  Quite a while ba back I was working on a model of the Pnnsylvania X31c auto car.  Folks on this list were gracious and helpful in providing information on the chain tubes and brake component arrangement.

One of the details that I was adding was a set of etched trust plates.  I had acquired these years ago when someone made them available. While attaching them one flew poff into God Knows Where. The project sent o. the shelf.

This morning while diligently looking for another lost part the plate magically appeared. I would like to complete car this before there are any more mishaps.

I know this has been. covered before (many times). Searching the archives has proven to be above my skill level.  Could someone please  provide me with the formula for Scalecoat PRR freight car red.  This would be for the 1930 period before it became more orange.

Thanks for any help.

Bill Pardie

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#176740) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Bill,

Per Bruce Smith: “Scalecoat, 1930s - 4 parts Scalecoat Illinois Central Orange to 1 part Oxide Red.”

For comparison, he provided this too: “Scalecoat 1940s - 1 to 2 parts Scalecoat Illinois Central Orange to 1 part Oxide Red.”

Also per Greg Snook (but no era indicated): In Scalecoat paints, I use a 4:1 or 5:1 mix of oxide red and IC orange.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

[...]

Dennis Storzek

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 07:43 PM, WILLIAM PARDIE wrote:
This morning while diligently looking for another lost part the plate magically appeared.
Proving once again that time travel is possible. The simple explanation is when you dropped the etching, it bounced into the future, and you just had to wait to catch up with it.

Dennis Storzek

O Fenton Wells

Totally understand.  I dropped two etched tank car ladders(Sill steps) from a Southern Car and Foundry 3 dome tank car and I think by now they are in Mexico.  I then dropped a third and had to buy another brass etchings part from SC&F.  Thank goodness he had them.  My wife got me an apron to wear when using small parts but I forget to use it. Just say'in
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Tony Thompson

Proving once again that time travel is possible. The simple explanation is when you dropped the etching, it bounced into the future, and you just had to wait to catch up with it.

Dennis Storzek

This explanation certainly fits all the facts <g>. It is definitely what one of my colleagues used to call "A" theory.

Tony Thompson