PRR & NYC double door boxcar models?

Jim Pattison

Hi, are there any good (accurate) plastic models of 50’ or 40’ double door boxcars (automobile cars)  for the PRR and the NYC?

I’ll appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks

Jim Pattison

Brian Carlson

Plastic. Maybe, depending on your opinion of the bowser PRR x31, x32, and x33 family of cars.

Brian J. Carlson

--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

O Fenton Wells

Jim, for NYC look at Ted Culotta's Prototype Modeler Vol 4 it has a great article on bashing NYC 50 boxcars.  I'm sure there are many more for both PRR and NYC but that one stands out to me
Fenton

On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 12:51 PM Jim Pattison <jim@...> wrote:

Hi, are there any good (accurate) plastic models of 50’ or 40’ double door boxcars (automobile cars)  for the PRR and the NYC?

I’ll appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks

Jim Pattison

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Jim Pattison

Brian, I don’t know enough about the Bowser cars to have an opinion. What is yours?

Jim

Plastic. Maybe, depending on your opinion of the bowser PRR x31, x32, and x33 family of cars.

Brian J. Carlson

On Jul 22, 2022, at 12:51 PM, Jim Pattison <jim@...> wrote:

Hi, are there any good (accurate) plastic models of 50’ or 40’ double door boxcars (automobile cars)  for the PRR and the NYC?

I’ll appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks

Jim Pattison

--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

Benjamin Hom

Jim Pattison asked:
"...are there any good (accurate) plastic models of 50’ or 40’ double door boxcars (automobile cars)  for the PRR and the NYC?"

What scale?

Ben Hom

Jim Pattison

Fenton, thanks for that. Know of a source for that book?  Speedwitch shows it as out of stock and isn’t on eBay either.

Jim

Jim, for NYC look at Ted Culotta's Prototype Modeler Vol 4 it has a great article on bashing NYC 50 boxcars.  I'm sure there are many more for both PRR and NYC but that one stands out to me

Fenton

On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 12:51 PM Jim Pattison <jim@...> wrote:

Hi, are there any good (accurate) plastic models of 50’ or 40’ double door boxcars (automobile cars)  for the PRR and the NYC?

I’ll appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks

Jim Pattison

--

Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Jim Pattison

Good point. HO scale

"...are there any good (accurate) plastic models of 50’ or 40’ double door boxcars (automobile cars)  for the PRR and the NYC?"

What scale?

Ben Hom

O Fenton Wells

Not right now but you may try on e Bay or ask on HO swap for someone who wants to sell a copy.  The way they are bound I'm not sure I could copy and scan without messing my copy up. Fenton
Fenton

On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 1:14 PM Jim Pattison <jim@...> wrote:

[...]

Bowser. To me they have shortcomings in the underframe and cast on details but with a little work they are acceptable.  Now a double door X31a I would use Rapido but X31, X31b, X31c, X31d, and x31f, you can start with bowser.

From the X32 and X33 bowser is the only plastic starting point.

Oh and most bowsers need new paint.  Lee used a west rd shape of FCC for a while and the lettering was off.

Brian J. Carlson

On Jul 22, 2022, at 1:04 PM, Jim Pattison <jim@S was.net> wrote:

Brian, I don’t know enough about the Bowser cars to have an opinion. What is yours?

Jim

Plastic. Maybe, depending on your opinion of the bowser PRR x31, x32, and x33 family of cars.

Brian J. Carlson

On Jul 22, 2022, at 12:51 PM, Jim Pattison <jim@...> wrote:

Hi, are there any good (accurate) plastic models of 50’ or 40’ double door boxcars (automobile cars)  for the PRR and the NYC?

I’ll appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks

Jim Pattison

--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

Todd Sullivan

Jim,

Bowser has both 50 ft and 40 ft double door autoboxes for the PRR.  It's just that they have molded on ladders and grabs, but they are pretty accurate.  Rapido is doing or has done the 40ft version (X31A), and F&C has the more modern X37A.

The NYC seemed to walk to the beat of their own drummer.  Sunshine did a neat NYC 40ft DD rebuild, and Ted Culota has written up how to build NYC singe door 50footers, but that's about all I can recall, other than Westerfield's 'USRA' early all steel 40ft door and a half cars.

Todd Sullivan

Robert Allan

Edited

The Bowser X31abkits are reasonably cheap and can be upgraded with a little effort.  Don't forget Rapido's excellent RTR version of the same car. (Rapido on the right modified Bowser on the left)

Bob Allan
Omaha

Jim Pattison

Todd, thanks for the info.  I think I can replace grabs and maybe doors so Boweser sounds good to me.

On the NYC what about the Proto 2000 like this one on eBay?  https://www.ebay.com/itm/401750818724?hash=item5d8a36ffa4:g:jvoAAOSwdzVXq0tI

Jim

Bowser has both 50 ft and 40 ft double door autoboxes for the PRR.  It's just that they have molded on ladders and grabs, but they are pretty accurate.  Rapido is doing or has done the 40ft version (X31A), and F&C has the more modern X37A.

The NYC seemed to walk to the beat of their own drummer.  Sunshine did a neat NYC 40ft DD rebuild, and Ted Culota has written up how to build NYC singe door 50footers, but that's about all I can recall, other than Westerfield's 'USRA' early all steel 40ft door and a half cars.

Todd Sullivan

Jim Pattison

Brain, that is good info, thank you

Jim

Plastic. Maybe, depending on your opinion of the bowser PRR x31, x32, and x33 family of cars.

Brian J. Carlson

On Jul 22, 2022, at 12:51 PM, Jim Pattison <jim@...> wrote:

Hi, are there any good (accurate) plastic models of 50’ or 40’ double door boxcars (automobile cars)  for the PRR and the NYC?

I’ll appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks

Jim Pattison

--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

--
Brian J. Carlson, P.E.
Cheektowaga NY

Jim Pattison

Bob, thanks for the good info.  Not sure I want to spend enough to get a Rapido so it looks like Bowser and a sharp Exacto blade for me.

Jim

The Bowser X31abkits are reasonably cheap and can be upgraded with a little effort.  Don't forget Rapido's excellent RTR version of the same car. (Rapido on the right modified Bowser on the left)

Bob Allan
Omaha

Jim Pattison

Fenton, thanks. I’ll keep my eye open.

Jim

[...]

mopacfirst

If you can find them, Branchline did several NYC cars in the Blueprint line with the Despatch-built distinctive ends and roof panels.  Not sure how many paint schemes they were offered in, but there were both a single-door and double-door version.

Ron Merrick

Jim Pattison

Thanks Ron, I’ll take a look at eBay

Jim

If you can find them, Branchline did several NYC cars in the Blueprint line with the Despatch-built distinctive ends and roof panels.  Not sure how many paint schemes they were offered in, but there were both a single-door and double-door version.

Ron Merrick

O Fenton Wells

Chad Boas has released a mini kit for the B&O M-59, a 50 ft DD boxcar wit proprietary ends, flat panel roof, superior doors and Duryea underframe components. He will have those at Collinsville. Also a second version with IDN ends, roof and u/f components.
Fenton

On Jul 22, 2022, at 4:43 PM, Jim Pattison <jim@...> wrote:

Thanks Ron, I’ll take a look at eBay

Jim

If you can find them, Branchline did several NYC cars in the Blueprint line with the Despatch-built distinctive ends and roof panels.  Not sure how many paint schemes they were offered in, but there were both a single-door and double-door version.

Ron Merrick

Scott H. Haycock

Fenton,

Do you know what the donor model for these mini kits are?

Scott Haycock
ent

On 07/22/2022 3:14 PM O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

Chad Boas has released a mini kit for the B&O M-59, a 50 ft DD boxcar wit proprietary ends, flat panel roof, superior doors and Duryea underframe components. He will have those at Collinsville. Also a second version with IDN ends, roof and u/f components.
Fenton

On Jul 22, 2022, at 4:43 PM, Jim Pattison <jim@...> wrote:

Thanks Ron, I’ll take a look at eBay

Jim

If you can find them, Branchline did several NYC cars in the Blueprint line with the Despatch-built distinctive ends and roof panels.  Not sure how many paint schemes they were offered in, but there were both a single-door and double-door version.

Ron Merrick

Brian Carlson

Scott Branchline / Atlas 40 ft boxcar.

I’ll also not me these are B&O cars and the OP asked about PRR and NYC.

Brian J. Carlson