Topics

[PRR] PRR X31A facts you want to know

Douglas Nelson

Eldon:
Was the round roof used to provide extra interior height for automobile loading? Was there a rack system for over-under loading?

Also, did railroad clearance need to be increased before these cars entered service?

Doug Nelson.

On Jun 13, 2020, at 8:09 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

Larry Smith

I think I can add some information here as I helped write the Walthers book on the automobile industry and the railroads.  At the time these cars were built, the standard ARA car height was 10' and the auto cars at the time could only ship two automobiles, 50' cars three.  Evans developed their auto loader increasing the the number of automobiles that could be shipped.  The problem was that they wouldn't fit in a 10' car.  PRR developed the X31s and X32's with the round roofs to get the extra height for the auto loaders.  A big battle ensured with the other railroads having clearance problems with the cars and PRR embargoing the other railroads from its lines if they wouldn't accept the cars in interchange, it wwas very shortlived and the new AAR standard became 10'6" for boxcars.

Larry Smith

On Saturday, June 13, 2020, 11:51:38 AM CDT, Douglas Nelson <doug514@...> wrote:

Eldon:
Was the round roof used to provide extra interior height for automobile loading?  Was there a rack system for over-under loading?

Also, did railroad clearance need to be increased before these cars entered service?

Doug Nelson.
> On Jun 13, 2020, at 8:09 AM, Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

Tony Thompson

Larry Smith wrote:

A big battle ensured with the other railroads having clearance problems with the cars and PRR embargoing the other railroads from its lines if they wouldn't accept the cars in interchange, it wwas very shortlived and the new AAR standard became 10'6" for boxcars.

   As some will know, this story is a great irony. In the 1920s, when several Western roads were building tall automobile cars, Pennsy led the objections of eastern roads to these "oversize" cars. Of course "tall" at that time merely meant taller than an X25.

Tony Thompson

Donald B. Valentine

Larry Smith wrote: " A big battle ensued with the other railroads having clearance a problems with the cars and PRR embargoing the other railroads from its lines if they wouldn't accept the cars in interchange,"

  I smell a rather large sized rat here. What evidence can you site for this please, Larry. Not to be argumentive, and I admit to being no fan of the Standard Scrapyard of the World, but this sounds like an attorney's field day as I cannot imagine any possibility of what you claim the Pennsy did being legal. Did the matter ever reach the courts and, if so, what were the results? Sounds more like the Pennsy just trying to throw its weight around.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Tony Thompson

Don Valentine wrote:

Sounds more like the Pennsy just trying to throw its weight around.

     And you express surprise?

Tony Thompson