Topics

PRR Stock cars on Southern Pacific or Union Pacific tracks?

David North

I checked Bowser for HO models of the K11 stock cars and they have two paint schemes.

One is all Tuscan and the other is Tuscan with a galvanised? roof and doors.

Are either or both these variations suitable for 1954?

Cheers

Dave

Benjamin Hom

Dave North asked:
"I checked Bowser for HO models of the K11 stock cars and they have two paint schemes.
One is all Tuscan and the other is Tuscan with a galvanised? roof and doors.
Are either or both these variations suitable for 1954?"

No.  Class K11 are Class X31 subclass automobile boxcars rebuilt in 1961 in response to a rise in stock traffic.  See Richard Burg's "The Last Stand of Stock Cars in the East" in the January 1993 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman for more details.

Ben Hom

Bruce Smith

Dave,

Well, if they are really painted "Tuscan" they aren't accurate for anyone 😉. PRR's freight cars were painted "Freight Car Color" which is also an oxide red, but not the same oxide red as Tuscan.

As Ben has noted, these rebuilds into stock cars are post 1960. However, there are models of both PRR stock cars that were extant at your 1954 data. These are the K7a (Broadway Limited) which were a rebuild of the X24 boxcar and the K8 (F&C).

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, Al

I checked Bowser for HO models of the K11 stock cars and they have two paint schemes.

One is all Tuscan and the other is Tuscan with a galvanised? roof and doors.

Are either or both these variations suitable for 1954?

Cheers

Dave

David North

Ben & Bruce,

Thanks for the information on the PRR stock cars.

I thought as I typed Tuscan that it might not be right so thanks for  providing the correct name.

Cheers

Dave