PRR X28a and N&W BPa single-door boxcars

nyc3001 .

Hi guys,

According to this PDS and this document, the BPa and the X28 were clones, and the mods made to the BPa were similar if not the same to those made by the PRR.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190126210347/http://sunshinekits.com/sunimages/sun26e.pdf
http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/calendar/2002/nap02/23araproto.pdf

Does this mean that I could take an F&C single-door X-28a kit and model a BPa car by simply painting it for N&W?

Thanks,
Phil Lee

James Brewer

Phil,

Basically, yes.  Here is a link to the N&WHS Archives for materials related to the N&W Class BPa:

You can click on the "D" in the far left column to see an image of that particular drawing.

Jim Brewer

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 2:43 AM nyc3001 . <nyc3001@...> wrote:
Hi guys,

According to this PDS and this document, the BPa and the X28 were clones, and the mods made to the BPa were similar if not the same to those made by the PRR.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190126210347/http://sunshinekits.com/sunimages/sun26e.pdf
http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/calendar/2002/nap02/23araproto.pdf

Does this mean that I could take an F&C single-door X-28a kit and model a BPa car by simply painting it for N&W?

Thanks,
Phil Lee

Benjamin Hom

Phil Lee asked:
"According to this PDS and this document, the BPa and the X28 were clones, and the mods made to the BPa were similar if not the same to those made by the PRR.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190126210347/http://sunshinekits.com/sunimages/sun26e.pdf
http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/calendar/2002/nap02/23araproto.pdf

Does this mean that I could take an F&C single-door X-28a kit and model a BPa car by simply painting it for N&W?"

Jim Brewer replied:
"Basically, yes.  Here is a link to the N&WHS Archives for materials related to the N&W Class BPa:
https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/listdocs/select.php?index=rs&id=475
You can click on the "D" in the far left column to see an image of that particular drawing."

First, NO DASHES IN PRR CAR CLASSES.

Answering Phil's question, I agree with Jim that the answer is "yes" for the Funaro kit, but the Devil, as always, is in the details.  The panel spacing of the Funaro PRR Class X28A model is incorrect for that prototype as the panels to the left of the door are not evenly spaced as shown in the attached side-by-side.  The Sunshine kit captures this better.

However, the N&W Class BPA cars were converted into general service boxcars in two stages.  Initially, the auxiliary door was simply sealed shut, but N&W later rebuilt the cars to remove the auxiliary door.  Instead of simply covering the auxiliary door opening as PRR did, N&W rebuilt the side to the left of the door with equal-sized panels, making the Funaro X28A a better model of the rebuilt N&W Class BPA.
https://imagebase.lib.vt.edu/image_viewer.php?q=ns046

Ben Hom

Brent Greer

Is the F&C car correct in respect to the car height?

Brent

Dr. J. Brent Greer

[...]

Brent Greer asked:
"Is the F&C car correct in respect to the car height?"

Yes.

Ben Hom