From: "Mike Clements via groups.io" <mbclements@...>
Date: 4/11/21 2:12 PM (GMT-10:00)
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] PRR X29B

I was reading the two part series on the X29B from the 11-12/92 issues of Mainline Modeler. There are a couple of discrepancies between the two articles. In the first Greg Martin went the extra mile to model the car with a Murphy roof while the plans in Martin Lofton's follow up show diagonal panel. I would think that given the 1948-50 build period that the roof changed halfway through, do we know the numbers? Second, Greg Martin's model was built with four heavy crossbearers, while the plans show just two (the two that Greg installed at the edges of the door weren't there). Which is correct?

Mike Clements
Wakefield, MA
nyc65.wordpress.com

pennsylvania1954

Hi Mike--Are you sure about Greg Martin's car having a Murphy panel roof? Here is a photo of his car.

http://prr.railfan.net/freight/modeling/freightmodelphotos.html?photo=21_19.JPG&fr=clX29

There has been no evidence that any PRR X29b's had anything other than a diagonal panel roof.

Two crossbearers under the doors is correct.

The PRRT&HS e-magazine The Keystone Modeler back in August 2006 had an article about a simple Branchline shell/Red Caboose underframe kitbash. Please contact me offlist at stevehprr"at"cox"dot"net if you want additional info.
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Mike Clements

Yes, the X29b and d models on that page had their captions swapped. Thanks.
--
Mike Clements
Wakefield, MA