PRR X29B and X29D

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Here’s the “cheat sheet” for what you need on your X29B or X29D:

6

X29B

27513

27554

27663

27901

28123

28460

28647

28730

29412

29646

30001

30012

30036

30613

30689

30753

30814

30949

30998

Sunshine

Vol 2 p.34

Burg

Burg

Bob

Lane

Vol 2 p.34

Vol 3 p.51

CWinters

RPC26

Suns - Burg

Vol 2 p.34

Burg

Vol 3 p.52

Vol 3 p.51

RPC26

Vol 2 p.34

Bob

Vol 1 p.71

SK Calendar; ? RB; Ajax brakes

CK; Apex RB; ? brakes

PK; Universal brakes; reinforced sidesill

SK Calendar P712-6-54; unknown brakes

SK;; ptd 8/54; Morton r/b;

CK new 3/51; +end pic) Apex RB; Ureco brakes

SK;

CK; Ureco brakes

SK1a calendar 7/54; ?RB; ?brakes

SK; calendar; 1954

CK; Apex RB; Ureco brakes

SK

PK; Ureco brakes; reinforced sidesill

PK

SK calendar; Apex RB; Klasing?? brakes

CK; Klasing brake

MS1; Apex r/b; Ureco? ; >3/57

MS1; Apex r/b; post 4/61

Sunshine; Funaro & Camerlengo; Branchline 40-foot 7-foot door  w/new u/f and side sills

4

X29D

23635

23901

23960

23963

24018

24083

24085

24086

24115

24166

24255

24270

24352

24359

24361

24733

25146

255xx?

26194

26247

E20851

unk

Bob

unk

Vol 2 p.36

Bob

Bob

CFC/Bob v.1p.31

Vol 3 p.52

JSands/Bob

Vol 3 p.52

Vol 1 p.73

Vol 1 p.76

CFC 7 p.51

M.Bernard

Unk

E20943-

PRR StmYr2

E21325

Hagley

SK; new rblt; Apex RB/Ajax brakes; low door boards; 6/55

SK; ? RB/? Brakes; low door boards; >7/55

SK; “Don’t..” slogan – white? Lo bds

SK; “Don’t..” slogan; ?/?RB;? brakes mid-60s low dr&end bds

SK; White “Don’t..” slogan; no paint roof/Apex RB; Klasing?

SK; White “Don’t..” slogan; ?RB low dr board; 8/55

SK; “Don’t..” slogan; ?color; lo bds

SK; Yellow “Don’t..” slogan; 8/55

SK; Yellow “Don’t..” slogan

SK; White “Don’t slogan; ?rb/Klasing brake low boards rblt; 8/55

SK; White “Don’t…” slogan; Apex RB low boards; Klasing brake; 8/55

SK; White “Don’t…” slogan

SK; White “Don’t…” slogan; Ajax brake

SK; White “Don’t…” slogan

SK; White “Don’t…” slogan low boards 1963

SK no slogan low boards rblt 9/55

SK no slogan low boards; rblt 10/55; Apex; Universal Brake;late IDE

CK; early IDE, but bad photo; p.64

SK; hi boards!; “blt 8/24” added racks 10/57 for Grand Rapids

CK; hi boards; rolling pin IDE, Apex; Ajax 2/60+

Branchline 40-foot 7-foot door  w/new u/f and side sills;

24166 with Klasing Brake

Elden Gatwood

Mike Clements

Thanks everyone. Got everything I need (including an undec Branchline box with 7 doors, Tom Haag's PK decals and a full bottle of Polly Scale Italian Camo Brown). Since Intermountain no longer sells spare parts, I'll have to rebuild the underframe from the Branchline part, so I'll pass on the offer for more info on that build, but thanks anyway, that would have been the way to go.

Mike Clements
Wakefield, MA
nyc65.wordpress.com

mopacfirst

Thanks for providing these answers, even though I didn't ask the question.  I have an F&C X29B and an X29D, along with an X26C, partially built on the bench.  I like to do more than one at a time of similar or identical cars, since it saves me time on research and construction methods, and near the beginning of projects I often do the same thing on several models at once.

A technique I've been using recently, for light colored parts like the white F&C resin or even the Sunshine gray, is that for one-piece body house cars I will wrap the sides and ends with tape and spray the roof the appropriate color while the car is partially built.  Saves the trouble of trying to get paint under the roofwalk, and if the car has a wooden walk I can paint it separately and get weathered wood colors on it more easily.

Ron Merrick

Schleigh Mike

Hello Elden & Group!!

This 'cheat sheet' is a great reference to help model well these interesting cars.  Thank you for sharing this.  In spite of it, I still have a couple of questions addressing the brake equipment.  You have noted that the layout is per the drawing below and, without doubt, this is wonderful and seemingly applicable to the 'plain' X29 cars that received AB conversations of their KD brakes.

However, both Funaro & Camerlengo (F&C) kits No. 8160 for the X29B and No. 8310 for the X29D (early) as well Sunshine Models (SM) kit No.U1.1 for the X29B show the arrangement differently than that below.  All those kits reflect the use of the rather generic layout like that of the original Cal-Scale arrangement.  Especially obvious is the absence of the Penny's use of the 'pressure head' style of cylinder providing the fulcrum anchor for the 'floating' second lever.  So the question is---Would this more 'conventional' arrangement have been applied to any of the X29 plain cars or perhaps to any of the "B" or "D" rebuilds?  My expectation is "No."  Elden's diagram is found in RP CYC No. 26, page 84 as well as the WrightTrack instructions for the X29D (late).  Ben Hom's second Mainline Modeler article on the X29 included a drawing for the passenger equipped X29 and this is very close to Elden's but relating the 'signal' air line details.  RP CYC  No. 24 discussing the original X29 cars has several images showing the reservoir mounted transversely.  This must have been a minority option as most photos seem to be per the Elden layout.

So, to be clear----

1)  Are the F&C and SM instructions for X29B and X29D brake equipment layout simply wrong and is the Elden layout consistent for all these rebuilt cars?

2)  Is the Elden drawing for the rebuilt cars also applicable to the plain X29 cars re-equipped with AB?

3)  Is there any logic to finding  the transversely mounted reservoir?  They seem to be found only on the last production (Dreadnaught ends) cars as if the two-chamber reservoir replaced the original single style in the same location.  Was this consistent throughout the group?

Obviously, photos are most helpful to accurate modeling but......

4)  If we want to model a certain car number from a particular date but have no photo, can we at least be relatively certain that a given brake arrangement applies to that car?

5)  Elden notes that Branchline (now Atlas) car bodies are applicable for the three body/door sizes for the X29B and two styles of X29D.  Can those Branch/Atlas part numbers be made known?

Thank you Elden and thank all in advance for contributions responsive to the questions above.

Regards from Grove City, Penna. where it is cold and raining----Mike Schleigh