mel perry

clear decal film, as a representation?
mel perry

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020, 4:47 PM Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:
Tim,

Absolutely an issue. Patch panels begin to appear in significant numbers in the 1950s. No plans for Rapido to do them at this time, but as we noted in discussions at the modeling meet, patch panels are pretty easy to add by a variety fo approaches. Undec kits are available and would make great fodder for this modification.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2020 6:19 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] PRR X31A facts you want to know

The X31 cars had the same design flaw as the ARA/X29's eventually requiring patches to be
applied to the lower sides. When did the patches begin to appear and will Rapido do these?

On 6/14/2020 7:51 AM, Mark Rossiter wrote:

The Rapido webpage advertising these cars gives the date ranges that the various paint schemes were applicable:

https://files.constantcontact.com/b02e8bb6001/407e09a1-d552-48c6-ab72-7bcb9b8710b1.pdf

Mark Rossiter

Sterling, Massachusetts

Bruce Smith

Mel,

There are at least 4 approaches that I know of:

1) Clear (thick) decal film
2) archer weld line decals (Bill W's favorite way right now)
3) etched metal appliques (I've done this. It's not easy  but has a nice effect)
4) Bare metal foil (or equivalent) - like decal film, this is super easy and the rivets below show through, make it look appropriately riveted!

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL