Topics

PRR X31A facts you want to know

mel perry

clear decal film, as a representation?
mel perry

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020, 4:47 PM Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:
Tim,

Absolutely an issue. Patch panels begin to appear in significant numbers in the 1950s. No plans for Rapido to do them at this time, but as we noted in discussions at the modeling meet, patch panels are pretty easy to add by a variety fo approaches. Undec kits are available and would make great fodder for this modification.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2020 6:19 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] PRR X31A facts you want to know

The X31 cars had the same design flaw as the ARA/X29's eventually requiring patches to be
applied to the lower sides. When did the patches begin to appear and will Rapido do these?

On 6/14/2020 7:51 AM, Mark Rossiter wrote:

The Rapido webpage advertising these cars gives the date ranges that the various paint schemes were applicable:

https://files.constantcontact.com/b02e8bb6001/407e09a1-d552-48c6-ab72-7bcb9b8710b1.pdf

Mark Rossiter

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Bruce Smith

Mel,

There are at least 4 approaches that I know of:

1) Clear (thick) decal film
2) archer weld line decals (Bill W's favorite way right now)
3) etched metal appliques (I've done this. It's not easy  but has a nice effect)
4) Bare metal foil (or equivalent) - like decal film, this is super easy and the rivets below show through, make it look appropriately riveted!

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of mel perry <clipper841@...>
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2020 6:53 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io <main@realstmfc.groups.io>

mel perry

Tim,

Absolutely an issue. Patch panels begin to appear in significant numbers in the 1950s. No plans for Rapido to do them at this time, but as we noted in discussions at the modeling meet, patch panels are pretty easy to add by a variety fo approaches. Undec kits are available and would make great fodder for this modification.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Tim O'Connor

Method #5 - plastic self adhesive tape from an electronic label maker - easier to apply than
the bare metal foil and can be stretched a little if necessary. Easily cut into shapes (gusset plates etc)

On 6/18/2020 7:57 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:
Mel,

3) etched metal appliques (I've done this. It's not easy  but has a nice effect)
4) Bare metal foil (or equivalent) - like decal film, this is super easy and the rivets below show through, make it look appropriately riveted!

Regards,
Bruce Smith

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Brian Carlson

Before anybody gets really annoyed at Bruce for number two. He meant archer panel line decals. Archer also makes weld line decals which are meant for armor guys and you definitely don’t want to use In HO scale

Brian J. Carlson 

On Jun 18, 2020, at 7:57 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Mel,

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of mel perry <clipper841@...>
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2020 6:53 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io <main@realstmfc.groups.io>

mel perry

Tim,

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Andy Carlson

Or equally useful, the very thin polymer peel & stick product, Monokote Trim. An RC item which I am constantly finding plenty of uses for it. Sticks well and holds rivet impressions. It is available in dozens of different colors, so a patch color choice may eliminate paint touch-up. About 3 x 30 inches and less than $7.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Thursday, June 18, 2020, 5:09:06 PM PDT, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Method #5 - plastic self adhesive tape from an electronic label maker - easier to apply than
the bare metal foil and can be stretched a little if necessary. Easily cut into shapes (gusset plates etc)

this is super easy and the rivets below show through, make it look appropriately riveted!

Bill Welch

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 08:14 PM, Brian Carlson wrote:
Before anybody gets really annoyed at Bruce for number two. He meant archer panel line decals. Archer also makes weld line decals which are meant for armor guys and you definitely don’t want to use In HO scale

Brian J. Carlson--------------------------------------------

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

NO, the Decals Bruce is referring are Archer's Aircraft Panel Lines that I use to represent weld lines. They are printed in three sizes and I use the narrowest set. Here are photos showing their application on a Sunshine X28A.

Bill Welch

Tim O'Connor

Andy

Cool! I'd never heard of this before. I see 5" x 36" sheets for sale for $2.99 - from an actual hobby shop! :-D

https://www.centralhobbies.com/cat4.php?cat=2&subcat=13&sub2cat=7

On 6/18/2020 8:47 PM, Andy Carlson wrote:
Or equally useful, the very thin polymer peel & stick product, Monokote Trim. An RC item which I am constantly finding plenty of uses for it. Sticks well and holds rivet impressions. It is available in dozens of different colors, so a patch color choice may eliminate paint touch-up. About 3 x 30 inches and less than $7.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Richard Townsend

Does it take paint well?

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Jun 18, 2020 5:47 pm
Subject: [RealSTMFC] PRR X31A facts you want to know

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Thursday, June 18, 2020, 5:09:06 PM PDT, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

this is super easy and the rivets below show through, make it look appropriately riveted!

Andy Carlson

Steel wool takes a lot of the shine off which makes paint adhesion better. I think years ago I tried painting an unscuffed trim with Accupaint with 30 percent added auto finish supply shop's universal flex additive and that seemed to work well at the time. I have only white and chrome Monokote Trim and never have painted the chrome.

The chrome is used for making stainless steel using the Highliners' Paul Lubliner's technique of stainless steel replication in HO scale. Basically he uses a very thin lacquer wash of purple over chrome. Works on plastic vacumm chrome as well, but totally a failure on fine grounded pigment silver or aluminum paint. Needs to be 100 percent mirror-reflective smooth to work well.

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Thursday, June 18, 2020, 6:51:41 PM PDT, Richard Townsend via groups.io <richtownsend@...> wrote:

Does it take paint well?

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Jun 18, 2020 5:47 pm
Subject: [RealSTMFC] PRR X31A facts you want to know

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

_._,_._,_

Chuck Cover

RE: Method #5 - plastic self adhesive tape from an electronic label maker - easier to apply than

Tim,  can you give us more information on this product?  I am not sure what you are describing.  Thanks

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

Benjamin Hom

Tim O'Connor wrote: 
"Method #5 - plastic self adhesive tape from an electronic label maker - easier to apply than
the bare metal foil and can be stretched a little if necessary. Easily cut into shapes (gusset plates, etc.)"

Chuck Cover asked:
"Can you give us more information on this product?  I am not sure what you are describing."

Here's an example - Dymo sells a similar product for their label makers:

This isn't the old thick embossed label stock for the manual hand-held label makers - this is a peel-and-stick printable tape.  It works nicely - here's a Walthers (ex-Train Miniature) Class X29 boxcar that has patch panels made from this material.  It was a bit difficult getting it over the large rivets of the old model, but I do like the effect more than decals (which tend to disappear under the paint) and Bare-Metal Foil (which I find to be too subtle).

Ben Hom

vincent altiere <steel77086@...>

Hello Ben,

Did you use 1/2 inch tape on your car?? I would think 1/4 inch would be better. Please let me know.

Vince Altiere

To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Jun 19, 2020 9:45 am

Tim O'Connor wrote: 
"Method #5 - plastic self adhesive tape from an electronic label maker - easier to apply than
the bare metal foil and can be stretched a little if necessary. Easily cut into shapes (gusset plates, etc.)"

Chuck Cover asked:
"Can you give us more information on this product?  I am not sure what you are describing."

This isn't the old thick embossed label stock for the manual hand-held label makers - this is a peel-and-stick printable tape.  It works nicely - here's a Walthers (ex-Train Miniature) Class X29 boxcar that has patch panels made from this material.  It was a bit difficult getting it over the large rivets of the old model, but I do like the effect more than decals (which tend to disappear under the paint) and Bare-Metal Foil (which I find to be too subtle).

Ben Hom

Benjamin Hom

Vince Altiere asked:
"Did you use 1/2 inch tape on your car?? I would think 1/4 inch would be better. Please let me know."

As Tim posted, you trim it as necessary.

Ben Hom

vincent altiere <steel77086@...>

Thanks Ben.

Vince Altiere

To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@realstmfc.groups.io>; main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Jun 19, 2020 11:01 am

Vince Altiere asked:
"Did you use 1/2 inch tape on your car?? I would think 1/4 inch would be better. Please let me know."

As Tim posted, you trim it as necessary.

Ben Hom

Chuck Cover

Sounds like a good solution.  Thanks Ben

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

Curt Fortenberry

If you emboss rivets in thin styrene sheets, an old plastic modelers
trick is to fill the dimples with putty. that way you stand less
chance of disturbing them with solvent.

Curt Fortenberry

John Barry

Brother also makes one.  The tape is available in 6, 9, 12, 18 and 24 mm widths.  Another adaptive use for the product I use to label the drawers containing the layout supplies like turnouts, bridge kits, and trucks.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 
Golden Gates & Fast Freights 
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 
Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Friday, June 19, 2020, 09:45:15 AM EDT, Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

Tim O'Connor wrote: 

Chuck Cover asked:

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

Or you could use clear acrylic (e.g. Future) as an initial 'adhesive' that will harden (and self level) over 24 hrs and then
touch the edges with MEK for capillary action that fixes it permanently in place. :-)

On 6/19/2020 1:11 PM, Curt Fortenberry wrote:
If you emboss rivets in thin styrene sheets, an old plastic modelers
trick is to fill the dimples with putty.  that way you stand less
chance of disturbing them with solvent.

Curt Fortenberry

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts