Topics

Question for Al Brown on Southern war emergency hopper

Just ran across pictures of your Southern war emergency hopper from a few years ago. One picture shows a partial view of the interior. It looks like it was made up of individual boards. It looks great. How did you create that look?
Jim Moore

al_brown03

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the kind words! The interior planking on that car consists of styrene overlays; I *think* each overlay was a single piece of sheet, I want to say .010" thick, scored to represent the planks, and with Archer rivets added for the attachments to the side trusses. I may have construction photos at home.

AL B.

al_brown03

No construction photos … most I can say is I *think* each overlay is a single piece, scored.

Thank you Al for the info. Did some more research online and found that a company called Rail Scale Models sells scribed wooden overlays. However they are advertised as fitting Accurail hoppers not Athearn. Someone also suggested scribing the lines. Since I have about 15 hoppers of both manufactures I think I’ll try all the methods at least once. Thanks again for the quick response.

Jim Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10