QUESTION ON FRISCO BOX CART BRAKES

WILLIAM PARDIE

The Sunshine kit for this car sits in my pile and this photo provides inspiration to get moving on it.  A question that comes up concerns the
brake system.  There are many instances where a freight car has been converted to AB brakes but retained the vertical brake staff.I have fiddled
with this photo as much as I could.  There is a hint that in this case this may have been reversed.  The protrusion below the center sill seems
to be the early dirt collector used with K brakes.  Is it possible that the power handbrake could have been used with a K brake system in this
Case?

Perplexed:

Bill Pardie

Clark Propst

I'm about finished building that old kit. PIA! According to the instruction history and the RP Cyc on rebuilt DS cars all were equipped with AB brakes and Ajax hand brakes when rebuilt.
Clark Propst

Allan Smith

NMRA Magazine January 2011 has an article about the rebuilding of these cars. The plan diagram shows AB brakes on these cars

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On Saturday, October 16, 2021, 02:12:24 PM PDT, Clark Propst via groups.io <cepropst@...> wrote:

I'm about finished building that old kit. PIA! According to the instruction history and the RP Cyc on rebuilt DS cars all were equipped with AB brakes and Ajax hand brakes when rebuilt.
Clark Propst

Guy Wilber

Clark Propst wrote:

“I'm about finished building that old kit. PIA! According to the instruction history and the RP Cyc on rebuilt DS cars all were equipped with AB brakes and Ajax hand brakes when rebuilt.”

All cars “Rebuilt” on and after August 1, 1937 were required to be equipped with “AB” brakes and geared handbrakes. That is if the car was truly rebuilt under the accounting guidelines of the ICC and the mechanical requirements of the AAR.

Details of both aspects are within the list’s archives.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada