Topics

QUESTION ON RUNNIBNG BOARD END SUPPORTS

WILLIAM PARDIE

The end supports for the running board on most boxcars in the 40’s and 50’s consisted of a metal  angle attached to the running board end with two legs projecting down to the car end.  Many earlier boxcars used a 1 X 4” board
with two metal legs running down to the car end.  I have three cars nearing completion on my workbench that use the latter support.  They are a UP B-50-20, an NP stock car and an SP 50’ door and a half auto car.
My question is did the metal supports use one or two bolts in attaching to the 1 X4’s and running board slats? I have viewed numerous photos and cannot come up with an answer.  A small item but need to know for the sake of accuracy.

Thanks for any help:

\
Bill Pardie

_._,_._,_

Jack Burgess

Bill…

Attached is a wood double-sheathed box car built in 1914 and it shows just one bolt per leg which seems fine since there would be that much load on it. BTW, Yarmouth Model Works has photo-etched parts for these supports as part No. YMW-38 (Eye Bolts & Misc: Running Board and Lateral Braces). This set provides the supports for one car plus other parts.

Jack Burgess

The end supports for the running board on most boxcars in the 40’s and 50’s consisted of a metal  angle attached to the running board end with two legs projecting down to the car end.  Many earlier boxcars used a 1 X 4” board

with two metal legs running down to the car end.  I have three cars nearing completion on my workbench that use the latter support.  They are a UP B-50-20, an NP stock car and an SP 50’ door and a half auto car.

My question is did the metal supports use one or two bolts in attaching to the 1 X4’s and running board slats? I have viewed numerous photos and cannot come up with an answer.  A small item but need to know for the sake of accuracy.

Thanks for any help:

\

Bill Pardie

Bill Welch

For the leg that attaches to the car end I use one rivet/bolt head. For older cars that have a 1x4 or 1x6 under the end of the running board I often put two on each leg.

Bill Welch

Rich Gibson

Here’s one I just took at the CO RR Museum. One bolt on each leg at bottom; six bolts across the top.
Rich Gibson
Golden, CO