Question re: upcoming Rapido USRA DS box

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

No boat needed, Ed,  There's another block with a single sheave so the cable can turn 90 degrees
to reach the Lidgerwood. Lord I'd love to have seen that operation first hand! But I think you've 
called the creane operator out correctluy. It appears he didn't use his outriggers and stabilizers.

My best, Don Valentine

gary laakso

Did the reduction in height lower the couplers?  If so, how did you adjust the couplers?

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kemal Mumcu via groups.io
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2020 6:01 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Question re: upcoming Rapido USRA DS box

One thing about these Rapido cars that could be corrected is the incorrect ride height.  They ride high on the trucks.  This was the same problem with the NP cars.  I had to make a jig and sand down the excess bolster material to bring down the car to ride at the right height. 

A possible solution:  Make the cars with the correct bolster ride height and add a fitted washer to deliver the cars.  The toy train types will be happy and more discerning modelers can remove the washer to bring down the car to the right height. 

Colin Meikle

A video from the Pacific Great Eastern of a GN USRA being righted after a wreck.  From the mid-fifties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdtnVk2M3YU&t=2s

Kemal Mumcu

The coupler sits a bit low. I need to add a shim but I will install short shank couplers first. The flat car's couplers are at the right height.

Colin Meikle

Norm Buckhart

that’s not a problem - I will complete the sizing here - maybe half size or quarter size?

On Apr 13, 2020, at 1:49 PM, Kemal Mumcu via groups.io <kemal_mumcu@...> wrote:

The coupler sits a bit low. I need to add a shim but I will install short shank couplers first. The flat car's couplers are at the right height.

Colin Meikle<couplerheight.jpg>

Bill Welch

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 03:39 PM, Donald B. Valentine wrote:
Perhaps the easient way to widen the Rapido roof so it overlaps an added fascia strip would be to cut it in half lengthwise with a razor saw and add a small strip of styrene in the middle where the running board should be able to hide it well and less work is required to have all looking "right". Don't you think this would work?

Cordially, Don Valentine
It probably would work, IF the roof can be removed easily.

Bill Welch

Tony Thompson

Don Valentine wrote:

The chief use of a Lidgerwood on a railroad was to pull a plow through a series of
open ended gondola type cars with side doors to place ballast or fill outside of the rails. I've never seen one except
in a bunch of photos I have and I've never heard of anyone modeling one. Does anyone have any photos of just
the LIdgerwood itself rather than the whole train with one included?

Don, two comments. First, after about 1915, very few railroads used Lidgerwoods for plowing out side-door ballast cars. It was TERRIBLY hard on the cars. Second point, lots of railroads did use Lidgerwoods to pull locomotives (with cutters in place of brake shoes) for wheel tire contour truing. There are several pictures of the SP practice in Bob Church's steam books. I can send one if you like.

Tony Thompson

bill woelfel

Thats not really a wrecker, looks more like a locomotive crane for handling material, note the long, non solid  boom. This may have been all that was available at the time, but still..........

I operated cranes like this at my brief tenure on the C&NW  Proviso, Il. in the 70's.  Never tried to lift a car.    Bill W

mofwcaboose <MOFWCABOOSE@...>

PGE 6072 (the crane in the film) was a 35-ton Ohio locomotive crane. Such cranes have been pressed into service to help clear wrecks when nothing else was available. And  a few wreck cranes in that part of the world did include a Lidgerwood. They were used for their steady pulling power.

John C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Apr 13, 2020 9:42 pm
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Question re: upcoming Rapido USRA DS box

Thats not really a wrecker, looks more like a locomotive crane for handling material, note the long, non solid  boom. This may have been all that was available at the time, but still..........

I operated cranes like this at my brief tenure on the C&NW  Proviso, Il. in the 70's.  Never tried to lift a car.    Bill W