Topics

Railway Prototype Cyclopedia Volume 35

Paul Krueger

Evidently, there is a new volume of Railway Prototype Cyclopedia coming this fall. I'm surprised I didn't see this mentioned here. Maybe I missed it?

Paul Krueger
Seattle, WA

==========

Volume 35 is a special super-sized edition comprising 385 pages, which contain much useful prototype information in one extensive, comprehensive article on the following subject:

Genesis of The A.A.R. Standard 40' Box Car: a part of the continuing series covering 20th century American box, automobile, and refrigerator car designs, the 385-page article by Pat Wider centers on the Association of American Railroads' Standard Box Car of 1937. The A.A.R. design of 1937 was a further development of the American Railway Association's Standard Box Car of 1932. Improvements included increased inside dimensions, better riding trucks, standardization of vendor-supplied car body components, improved friction draft gear and automatic air brake systems, longer-lasting wheels, stronger designs and floors, and safer and easier to operate power hand brakes. Brief histories of the standardization and impact of these various sub-systems on the railroad industry through World War II are included as well as descriptions of several post-war developments. This volume provides the ideal prelude to the 6-inch taller A.A.R. alternate standard box cars built during and after the war.

This comprehensive article includes 5 tables, 15 historical railroad industry sidebars, 33 industry trade ads, 47 U.S. patents, 72 diagrams, and 428 B&W photographs of 10-foot inside height (or slightly less) A.A.R. Standard Box Cars of 1937 built from May, 1936, until December, 1948. The article includes much valuable information on the relevant box cars for the following railroads: A&EC, A&WP, ACL, AT&SF, B&O, BM, C&EI, C&O, CG, CGW, CIL, CN, COPR, CP, CR, D&M, DL&W, Erie, FEC, Georgia, GM&O, IHB, ITC, KCS, L&C, L&N, LS&I, LV, M&StL, MEC, NADHM, NC&StL. NdeM, NH, NJI&I, NKP, NP, NPF, NS, NSD, NYC, ONT, P&LE, PM, RDG, RSCX, SAL, SL-SF, Soo Line, Southern, SP, T&NO, T&P, TC, UP, VGN, W&LE, WAB, WM, WofA, and WP.

$75.00

Richard Townsend

I missed it, too, if it was announced here. I do want it. Does anyone have info on ordering it?

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

[...]

I saw it at Ron's Books, but I'm sure there will be others selling it.

https://www.ronsbooks.com/RAILWAY-PROTOTYPE-CYCLOPEDIA-VOL-35_p_30444.html

Paul Krueger
Seattle, WA

Nelson Moyer

Ed sent email announcements to those who had purchased previous volumes, but I didn’t get one for this new volume. The previous announcements said if you prepay, shipping was free. Maybe Ed or Pat will clarify the situation for this new Volume soon.

Nelson Moyer

[...]

Schuyler Larrabee

I sent him an inquiry.

Schuyler

[...]

Tony Thompson

Paul Krueger wrote:

Evidently, there is a new volume of Railway Prototype Cyclopedia coming this fall. I'm surprised I didn't see this mentioned here. Maybe I missed it?

    Obvious thing to do is to check with Pat Wider or Ed Hawkins.

Tony Thompson

spsalso

I bought all of them.  So far.

My e-mail has never changed.

I have received nothing regarding Volume 35.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Allen Cain

Here is what Ed told me:

The answer is yes, but I’m not the least bit involved with the new book.

The RP CYC Publishing Co. ended business 3 years ago. The new Volume 35 book by Patrick C. Wider is an exclusive to be sold by Ron’s Books.
Ed

Allen Cain

Tim O'Connor

Who is publishing ? Ed Hawkins and Pat Wider did the others, but Ed hasn't said anything.

On 7/22/2020 9:19 PM, Paul Krueger wrote:
I saw it at Ron's Books, but I'm sure there will be others selling it.

https://www.ronsbooks.com/RAILWAY-PROTOTYPE-CYCLOPEDIA-VOL-35_p_30444.html

Paul Krueger
Seattle, WA

Sterling, Massachusetts

Paul Krueger

Here is some more information from a bookseller who sells through Facebook and train shows.

Paul Krueger
Seattle, WA

=======

Railway Prototype Cyclopedia Vol. 35 – the 1937 AAR Box Car
by Silverlake Images

A brand new Railway Prototype Cyclopedia is being produced by Silverlake Images. Modelers and historians have long appreciated the definitive information provided in this series. RPC Vol. 35 – the 1937 AAR Box Car will be a 385 page work which will included photos, text, rosters and drawings of this basic building block of box car history. The work itself will have the appearance and standards of the previous 34 volumes. It will be traditionally press printed and of a quantity to meet and exceed initial demand. Delivery is expected during the fall season, well in time for holiday gift consideration. The book is currently in the final review and is expected to go to the printer in very early August.

pennsylvania1954

Pro Custom Hobbies http://www.procustomhobbies.com is taking reservations now for $65.
--
Steve Hoxie