Rapido announces HO Scale UTLX 10,000 gallon X-3 tankcar

Andy Laurent

nyc3001 .

Will this be the 54" dome variant?

-Phil Lee

Joseph

According to the website/announcement, yes
Joe binish

On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 8:03 PM nyc3001 . <nyc3001@...> wrote:
Will this be the 54" dome variant?

-Phil Lee

Andy Laurent

Rapido Trains is excited to announce its newest ready-to-run freight car – the Union Tank Car 10,000 gallon X-3 tank car.

Modelers interested in accuracy know that most boxcars are painted red and most tank cars are black. That’s just the way it is – and was. When discussing tank cars from the 1920s through the 1970s, there can be no more important car than the Union Tank Car (UTLX) X-3 design. And yes, they were almost all black!

The X-3 cars were built in various capacities and configurations, including 6,500 gallon, 8,000 gallon and 12,000 gallon tanks. They were also built with single, double and triple domes. However, none of these variants were more numerous than the basic 10,000 gallon, single-dome version. From the 1920s onwards Union Tank Car (UTLX) fielded the largest fleet of tank cars in North America, and the 10,000 gallon X-3 accounted for nearly 13,000 of them!

The basic X-3 was used to haul fuel oil, gasoline, vegetable oils – essentially any liquid that did not require special handling features. These cars went EVERYWHERE!

Rapido’s model has been developed with the help of noted UTLX tank car expert Steve Hile. We are offering two distinct versions, the K-brake equipped cars, good before 1953, and the AB-brake equipped cars good from the 1940s onwards. In addition to brake equipment, our models will feature correct handbrake and coupler cut bar arrangements which differed depending on the brake equipment installed. Either Andrews or “Bettendorf” cast steel trucks will be fitted, depending on the era.

Other features of Rapido’s model include:

  • Designed from original blueprints
  • Correct tank bolster pads
  • Correct 54” diameter dome
  • Correct UTLX-style warning placard holders
  • Full underbody detailing with two distinct brake systems offered
  • Correct end platforms
  • Correct coupler cut bars and hand brake mountings
  • Semi-scale couplers and coupler boxes
  • Free-rolling turned metal wheels
  • Accurate paint and lettering
  • Multiple road numbers available per scheme.

Bruce Griffin

Friends,

I guess I didn’t pay attention to the years of conversations about tank cars and I didn’t buy the book (I searched eBay and Amazon). So, I model 1950 B&0 on the east coast and I know I want about 15 of these cars for my fleet. Advice? 10 of the 1930s models and  5 of the1950s models or undec with ab brakes and hope NSC restocks decals for this model and I can make them appropriate for 1950?  I’ve attached a photo of the scene I want to recreate. Thank you.

Bruce D. Griffin
Ashland, MD
https://bomodeling.com/blog/

Ryan Mendell

I am re running the UTLX decals. Should be here well before the Rapido models.

Ryan
National Scale Car

Eric Hansmann

Bruce,

There are several points to determine about this photo, which I assume is the lower one in the file shared.

First, are these UTLX tank cars? I can’t determine ownership from the photo details.

Second, the tank car beside the B&O diesel has an insulated tank. If it is a UTLX tank car, it is not the same as Class X-3 models announce by Rapido.

Third, why are those tank cars there? I checked my 1922 B&O Form 6 book and see a siding a mile west of Sykesville for the Springfield State Hospital, just before Sykesville Tunnel. The siding has a 158 car capacity, with eight car lengths as company owned. Does the hospital receive oil in tank cars for their boilers? Or are these just being stored on a long track?

Further review of towns and customers east and west of that point does not reveal any Standard Oil dealers. I see a coal and lumber dealer t Woodbine, but that’s it. There are several customers along the line that only have names without an indication of their product focus.

I don’t have a later Form 6 book to consult for updated details.

Overall, the UTLX 10K gallon Class X-3 tank cars were a large proportion of the UTLX fleet. As you are modeling just after WW2, a few cars may still have their original K brake systems, but the lettering may have been updated. I’m not certain of the through train frequency you are planning for your layout, but there would probably be UTLX tank cars in those consists. Did the B&O service a Standard Oil refinery in Baltimore? I don’t see one listed in the 1922 Form 6.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

I guess I didn’t pay attention to the years of conversations about tank cars and I didn’t buy the book (I searched eBay and Amazon). So, I model 1950 B&0 on the east coast and I know I want about 15 of these cars for my fleet. Advice? 10 of the 1930s models and  5 of the1950s models or undec with ab brakes and hope NSC restocks decals for this model and I can make them appropriate for 1950?  I’ve attached a photo of the scene I want to recreate. Thank you.

Bruce D. Griffin
Ashland, MD
https://bomodeling.com/blog/

Eric Hansmann

Upon closer review, the other tank car has SHPX reporting marks.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

I guess I didn’t pay attention to the years of conversations about tank cars and I didn’t buy the book (I searched eBay and Amazon). So, I model 1950 B&0 on the east coast and I know I want about 15 of these cars for my fleet. Advice? 10 of the 1930s models and  5 of the1950s models or undec with ab brakes and hope NSC restocks decals for this model and I can make them appropriate for 1950?  I’ve attached a photo of the scene I want to recreate. Thank you.

Bruce D. Griffin
Ashland, MD
https://bomodeling.com/blog/

John King

Eric,

The tank cars are in an eastward freight.

John King

pennsylvania1954

Bruce--On the groups.io website for this list do a search for "X-3" . You will find enough there to last you the weekend.

I am a little surprised that there hasn't been more wildly expressed enthusiasm here. This car has been in demand for a long time, and it is finally in sight.
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Robert kirkham

LOL - I showed my enthusiasm on the Rapido order page.

Rob

On Sep 16, 2021, at 8:45 AM, pennsylvania1954 <stevehprr@...> wrote:

Bruce--On the groups.io website for this list do a search for "X-3" . You will find enough there to last you the weekend.

I am a little surprised that there hasn't been more wildly expressed enthusiasm here. This car has been in demand for a long time, and it is finally in sight.
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Joseph

I ordered 4 kits.  I am a diy kind of guy….
Joe Binish

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 10:45 AM pennsylvania1954 <stevehprr@...> wrote:
Bruce--On the groups.io website for this list do a search for "X-3" . You will find enough there to last you the weekend.

I am a little surprised that there hasn't been more wildly expressed enthusiasm here. This car has been in demand for a long time, and it is finally in sight.
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Chris Barkan

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 08:45 AM, pennsylvania1954 wrote:
Bruce--On the groups.io website for this list do a search for "X-3" . You will find enough there to last you the weekend.

I am a little surprised that there hasn't been more wildly expressed enthusiasm here. This car has been in demand for a long time, and it is finally in sight.
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL
I am wildly enthusiastic! :-)
--
Chris Barkan
Champaign, IL

Dave Parker

With all due respect, the National Scale Car (formerly Speedwitch) UTLX decal set isn't terribly useful for the Rapido X-3 cars.  Only one of 10 car numbers (32586) matches, but it has a build a date of 6-35 (rather than 6- or 7-20), and a tare weight that is too high based on prototype photos.  Of course one can always do a lot of snipping and splicing, but....

IMO, you're more likely to get closer to the target by choosing one of the Rapido schemes, unless you have access to a custom run of decals.  YMMV of course.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Tim O'Connor

The old Speedwitch set had many different new dates from 1917 to the 1940s.

The CDS set (for an 8,000 gallon car) has only a 1937 new date.

The Sunshine custom decals also had many dates from 1918 to the late 1950s.

Didn't Steve Hile or maybe Black Cat do custom UTLX decals?

Tim O'Connor

On 9/16/2021 12:21 PM, Dave Parker via groups.io wrote:
With all due respect, the National Scale Car (formerly Speedwitch) UTLX decal set isn't terribly useful for the Rapido X-3 cars. Only one of 10 car numbers (32586) matches, but it has a build a date of 6-35 (rather than 6- or 7-20), and a tare weight that is too high based on prototype photos.  Of course one can always do a lot of snipping and splicing, but....

IMO, you're more likely to get closer to the target by choosing one of the Rapido schemes, unless you have access to a custom run of decals.  YMMV of course.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Dan Miller

Do we have any idea what dates will be painted on the "1920s" and "1930s" schemes on the Rapido cars?  Both schemes appear to have a NEW date of 9-23 under the capacity, but are there other dates painted on the car that limit its period of accuracy?   How long into the 1930s would the "1920s" scheme have lasted?  I am not sure if Bill or another Rapido rep is on this list; it would be a great help if Rapido included build. rebuild, repack, etc. dates for each scheme on their website (for this and all of their other freight car releases).

Dan Miller

Dave Parker

A couple of things:

The artist's renderings presently on the Rapido website are generally not correct for the 54"-dome cars built 1919-21.  The 1923 build date (and the car number) match up to the 60" dome cars.  I would trust Rapido to get this straightened out well before production.

The "NEW" light-weight stencil could persist for many years, as tank cars were not reweighed except in the case of substantial modification (new trucks might be an example).

Other than the (MOL annual) repack stencil, the thing that "dates" a tank car is the pressure-test dates for tank and safety valves.  These intervals changed in 1930 (and perhaps later, it's beyond my period of interest), and differed somewhat across MCB/ARA/AAR car classes.  These stencils were quite small (1" lettering), so I think many modelers can live with date discrepancies in them (but not all of us!).

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Bill Schneider

Edited

Bill who?.....

The artworks on the web site are very early mock ups. Fine details will be sorted ahead of production and will incorporate comments from this list and others. I will try to pin down dates ahead of that though, understanding that these things are important to many of us!

Bill Schneider
Rapido Trains

Dan Miller

Thank you very much, Bill and Dave!