Topics

Rapido GLa Hopper


Kemal Mumcu
 

Merry Christmas to those who surely would welcome this announcement.  Seems like lots of Pennsy fans at Rapido.

https://rapidotrains.com/products/ho-scale/freight-cars/ho-scale-gla-hopper

Colin Meikle


Marty McGuirk
 

Rapido doing an O&W car - there’s a big surprise!
(Merry Christmas Bill!) 



On Dec 25, 2020, at 9:24 AM, Kemal Mumcu via groups.io <kemal_mumcu@...> wrote:

Merry Christmas to those who surely would welcome this announcement.  Seems like lots of Pennsy fans at Rapido.

https://rapidotrains.com/products/ho-scale/freight-cars/ho-scale-gla-hopper

Colin Meikle


Brian Carlson
 

Hey us Pennsy guys need them too. 😂

Brian J. Carlson 

On Dec 25, 2020, at 9:53 AM, Marty McGuirk <mjmcguirk@...> wrote:

Rapido doing an O&W car - there’s a big surprise!
(Merry Christmas Bill!) 



On Dec 25, 2020, at 9:24 AM, Kemal Mumcu via groups.io <kemal_mumcu@...> wrote:

Merry Christmas to those who surely would welcome this announcement.  Seems like lots of Pennsy fans at Rapido.

https://rapidotrains.com/products/ho-scale/freight-cars/ho-scale-gla-hopper

Colin Meikle


David
 

The metal casting for the slope sheets and hopper bays is an interesting approach. The CN cars are foobies, of course.

David Thompson


Robert kirkham
 

I'd like to understand a little bit about movement of speciality products - the kind they might have shipped in Pennsy hoppers - to the Pacific Northwest and Canadian west coast.  A) what would those products be (anthracite? anything else?) B) used for what kinds of industries?    

Some west coast pennsy hopper photos or spotting data would achieve much the same end - I'm wanting to have a reason to pick up one of these - so move from "possible" to . .. . maybe "rare but plausible"?

 


Claus Schlund \(HGM\)
 


Hi List Members,
 
David pointed out what the CN cars are. Can anyone tell me, did LV have GLa design cars? Is the LV car correct?
 
TIA
 
Claus Schlund
 
 
 

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, December 25, 2020 10:11 AM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Rapido GLa Hopper

The metal casting for the slope sheets and hopper bays is an interesting
approach. The CN cars are foobies, of course.

David Thompson






Gavin
 

Aw so the CN cars are inaccurate?


On Fri, Dec 25, 2020, 3:11 PM Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:
Hi List Members,
 
David pointed out what the CN cars are. Can anyone tell me, did LV have GLa design cars? Is the LV car correct?
 
TIA
 
Claus Schlund
 
 
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, December 25, 2020 10:11 AM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Rapido GLa Hopper

The metal casting for the slope sheets and hopper bays is an interesting
approach. The CN cars are foobies, of course.

David Thompson






Charles Peck
 

In one old man 's view, if it were not for foobies and stand-ins, a lot of otherwise 
good models would never reach marketable numbers. 
Not a popular view perhaps.
Chuck Peck

On Fri, Dec 25, 2020 at 6:13 PM Gavin <senftgav@...> wrote:
Aw so the CN cars are inaccurate?

On Fri, Dec 25, 2020, 3:11 PM Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:
Hi List Members,
 
David pointed out what the CN cars are. Can anyone tell me, did LV have GLa design cars? Is the LV car correct?
 
TIA
 
Claus Schlund
 
 
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, December 25, 2020 10:11 AM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Rapido GLa Hopper

The metal casting for the slope sheets and hopper bays is an interesting
approach. The CN cars are foobies, of course.

David Thompson






Brian Carlson
 

On Dec 25, 2020, at 6:11 PM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:


Hi List Members,
 
David pointed out what the CN cars are. Can anyone tell me, did LV have GLa design cars? Is the LV car correct?
 
TIA
 
Claus Schlund
 
 
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, December 25, 2020 10:11 AM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Rapido GLa Hopper

The metal casting for the slope sheets and hopper bays is an interesting
approach. The CN cars are foobies, of course.

David Thompson






Doug Rhodes
 

The following was posted on another list and may be of interest:

 

www.nakina.net has this image: http://nakina.net/photos/cn1/cn117312.jpg which is one of the numbers Rapido is offering in CN.  

 

Doug Rhodes

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Charles Peck
Sent: December 25, 2020 3:41 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Rapido GLa Hopper

 

In one old man 's view, if it were not for foobies and stand-ins, a lot of otherwise 

good models would never reach marketable numbers. 

Not a popular view perhaps.

Chuck Peck

 

On Fri, Dec 25, 2020 at 6:13 PM Gavin <senftgav@...> wrote:

Aw so the CN cars are inaccurate?

 

On Fri, Dec 25, 2020, 3:11 PM Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

 

David pointed out what the CN cars are. Can anyone tell me, did LV have GLa design cars? Is the LV car correct?

 

TIA

 

Claus Schlund

 

 

 

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, December 25, 2020 10:11 AM

Subject: [RealSTMFC] Rapido GLa Hopper

 

The metal casting for the slope sheets and hopper bays is an interesting
approach. The CN cars are foobies, of course.

David Thompson





Bob Thompson
 

Rob Kirkham wants an excuse to have one of these on his west coast Canadian layout. I can’t confirm a PRR GLa but I do have a photo of a similar CV hopper at a fuel dealer in Victoria, BC. Very interesting is the CNR “GLa" coupled behind it, #115303. As I understand it there was a market for high quality coal for home heating and it would need to come from “back east” because it wasn’t mined in western Canada. I expect there would have various eastern US hoppers showing up on Canada's west coast until other fuels replaced coal.

Bob Thompson
North Saanich, BC


John Sykes III
 

I have 52 Bowser PRR GLAs on hand.  Not something I will be rushing out to buy.  Now if it were a GLCA or an H25, that would be different.

-- John


Gavin
 

Very interesting to know Bob! I assume it's because the mines of the Crow, Kootenays and Vancouver Island went to locomotive fuel first and foremost, not being the best for home heating.


On Fri, Dec 25, 2020, 6:26 PM Bob Thompson <bthompso@...> wrote:
Rob Kirkham wants an excuse to have one of these on his west coast Canadian layout. I can’t confirm a PRR GLa but I do have a photo of a similar CV hopper at a fuel dealer in Victoria, BC. Very interesting is the CNR “GLa" coupled behind it, #115303. As I understand it there was a market for high quality coal for home heating and it would need to come from “back east” because it wasn’t mined in western Canada. I expect there would have various eastern US hoppers showing up on Canada's west coast until other fuels replaced coal.

Bob Thompson
North Saanich, BC


John Riddell
 

The last sentence of the announcement says " Numerous further cars were
built for several roads that were near clones of the CLa design. "

CN (GTR) hoppers built in 1903 and 1904 were VERY close to the PRR GLa first delivered in
1905.

           IL       IW    ex L    ht from rail     capacity in cu ft

GLa   30-5   9-6   32-3     10-0                1683
CN    30-0    9-6   31-9     10-1                1680

Two color photos of the CN hoppers on page 52 of the CN Color Guide.

 

John Riddell

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


David
 

Aw so the CN cars are inaccurate?

Yep, afraid so. They're twin hoppers of the same general size and configuration of the Gla, but many of the details are different (end sill shape, interior and overall length, height and shape of the crossridge). The GT/CN hoppers are a uniquely Canadian design, the sort of thing Rapido might have done in their earlier days.

David Thompson


Robert kirkham
 

Thanks Bob; that helps.  

I think justifying Rapido’s F30A flat cars is a lot easier to explain out here.  The X31As are obvious of course.  Lots to choose from.  Would like to see some unique NYC and ATSF stuff next.   

Rob

On Dec 25, 2020, at 7:07 PM, Gavin <senftgav@...> wrote:

Very interesting to know Bob! I assume it's because the mines of the Crow, Kootenays and Vancouver Island went to locomotive fuel first and foremost, not being the best for home heating.

On Fri, Dec 25, 2020, 6:26 PM Bob Thompson <bthompso@...> wrote:
Rob Kirkham wants an excuse to have one of these on his west coast Canadian layout. I can’t confirm a PRR GLa but I do have a photo of a similar CV hopper at a fuel dealer in Victoria, BC. Very interesting is the CNR “GLa" coupled behind it, #115303. As I understand it there was a market for high quality coal for home heating and it would need to come from “back east” because it wasn’t mined in western Canada. I expect there would have various eastern US hoppers showing up on Canada's west coast until other fuels replaced coal.

Bob Thompson
North Saanich, BC




Robert kirkham
 

Nice! Comparison with the Rapido model does credit to the comparison.  A few detail changes and it would be hard to tell…

Rob

On Dec 25, 2020, at 5:42 PM, Doug Rhodes <farronhill@...> wrote:

The following was posted on another list and may be of interest:
 
www.nakina.net has this image: http://nakina.net/photos/cn1/cn117312.jpg which is one of the numbers Rapido is offering in CN.  
 
Doug Rhodes
 
From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Charles Peck
Sent: December 25, 2020 3:41 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Rapido GLa Hopper
 
In one old man 's view, if it were not for foobies and stand-ins, a lot of otherwise 
good models would never reach marketable numbers. 
Not a popular view perhaps.
Chuck Peck
 
On Fri, Dec 25, 2020 at 6:13 PM Gavin <senftgav@...> wrote:
Aw so the CN cars are inaccurate?
 
On Fri, Dec 25, 2020, 3:11 PM Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:
Hi List Members,
 
David pointed out what the CN cars are. Can anyone tell me, did LV have GLa design cars? Is the LV car correct?
 
TIA
 
Claus Schlund
 
 
 
----- Original Message ----- 
Sent: Friday, December 25, 2020 10:11 AM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Rapido GLa Hopper
 

The metal casting for the slope sheets and hopper bays is an interesting 
approach. The CN cars are foobies, of course.

David Thompson






Gavin
 

Hopefully if the GLa are successful enough they'll consider them


On Fri, Dec 25, 2020, 8:45 PM David via groups.io <jaydeet2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Aw so the CN cars are inaccurate?

Yep, afraid so. They're twin hoppers of the same general size and configuration of the Gla, but many of the details are different (end sill shape, interior and overall length, height and shape of the crossridge). The GT/CN hoppers are a uniquely Canadian design, the sort of thing Rapido might have done in their earlier days.

David Thompson


Gavin
 

Honestly that's what I love any modeling Vancouver, you have 4 US railways that interchange with you, and several shortlines plus the Kettle Valley/ E&N subdivisions that connected at Hope/Vancouver


On Fri, Dec 25, 2020, 10:14 PM Robert kirkham <rdkirkham@...> wrote:
Nice! Comparison with the Rapido model does credit to the comparison.  A few detail changes and it would be hard to tell…

Rob

On Dec 25, 2020, at 5:42 PM, Doug Rhodes <farronhill@...> wrote:

The following was posted on another list and may be of interest:
 
www.nakina.net has this image: http://nakina.net/photos/cn1/cn117312.jpg which is one of the numbers Rapido is offering in CN.  
 
Doug Rhodes
 
From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Charles Peck
Sent: December 25, 2020 3:41 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Rapido GLa Hopper
 
In one old man 's view, if it were not for foobies and stand-ins, a lot of otherwise 
good models would never reach marketable numbers. 
Not a popular view perhaps.
Chuck Peck
 
On Fri, Dec 25, 2020 at 6:13 PM Gavin <senftgav@...> wrote:
Aw so the CN cars are inaccurate?
 
On Fri, Dec 25, 2020, 3:11 PM Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:
Hi List Members,
 
David pointed out what the CN cars are. Can anyone tell me, did LV have GLa design cars? Is the LV car correct?
 
TIA
 
Claus Schlund
 
 
 
----- Original Message ----- 
Sent: Friday, December 25, 2020 10:11 AM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Rapido GLa Hopper
 

The metal casting for the slope sheets and hopper bays is an interesting 
approach. The CN cars are foobies, of course.

David Thompson






David
 

It looks to me like Rapido is aiming for the modernized PRR version (higher rivet row for the sides of the hopper bays, and inboard top eave angle), while the Bowser car is a post-Safety Appliances but otherwise as-built Gla. The Rapido tooling sample still needs some work (clean up the rivet configuration on the sides, upper taper on the side posts, add the reinforcements on the side posts for the crossties). Unfortunately, this means all non-PRR roadnames will not be accurate.

David Thompson