Rapido USRA Boxcars vs. Accurail SS OB Boxcars

webotkin

Hi,

As someone who owns and have upgraded numerous examples of the Accurail single sheathed, outside braced boxcars, I wondered if the Accurail cars are close representation of the USRA cars.  The most noticeable difference is the cast on ladders on the Accurail cars vs. separate hand grabs on the Rapido model.  The photos in the RPC CYC #17 article of the USRA cars do show separate grabs on the various cars rather than ladders except one photo of PRR #38881 with the Creco doors.

An article in Railmodel Journal (Feb 93) by Richard Hendrickson basically indicated that the Accurail model  was patterned after the CN cars, though those cars had wood ends and many of the Accurail models were offered with metal ends.  Are the Accurail models with metal ends accurate for the USRA cars other than the cast-on ladders?

Thanks for any guidance.

William Botkin
Centennial, CO

Robert kirkham

It depends what level of accuracy you are looking for.  The key differences include:
a)  the cross section of the vertical and diagonal steel bracing. (Accurail models cars with Z bracing - a rolled steel shape; like the CNR car.  USRA cars have hat section pressed steel vertical and diagonal braces, which have a rounded bulge (like the crown of a cap) in the middle and flanges (like the brim) on either side of the bulge.  This is very evident in photos, especially along the lower side sill and near the top plate.
b) The USRA cars had a 3 panel end (not the two panel found on the Accurail 7/8 end), with 5/5/5 corrugation patterns.    (Have not looked up if there were USRA cars with other ends.)

Rob

On Jun 19, 2021, at 6:56 AM, webotkin <webotkin@...> wrote:

[...]

Dennis Storzek

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 08:52 AM, Robert kirkham wrote:
The USRA cars had a 3 panel end (not the two panel found on the Accurail 7/8 end), with 5/5/5 corrugation patterns.    (Have not looked up if there were USRA cars with other ends.)
There were some "clones" of the USRA design that had two panel ends with a 7/8 rib arrangement, built in the early twenties. Canadian Pacific had some, as did C&NW, but these later cars were slightly reduced in height compared to the original.

The Accurail "nine panel" single sheathed car with corrugated steel ends specifically models a group of early CN automobile cars that had the same IH as the boxcars, AFTER the were rebuilt with single six foot wide doors.

Dennis Storzek

Robert kirkham

I’m not aware of a series of Canadian Pacific “9 panel” cars with Z bracing (other than the WWII era war emergency cars (adapted from the 1937 design).  As far as I have seen, they were all similar to the USRA cars, with hat profile braces.  They were modestly heavier (2100 lbs), which I believe was attributable to the framing etc of the bottom opening grain doors located on the car floor in line with each side door.

Based on my studies, the only CPR "9 panel" cars with the 7/8 Murphy ends were cars in the following series:
230000-230999 blt by NSC
231000-232499 blt by CCF
232500-232999 blt by ECC
233000-233499 blt by CCF

All cars were built 1920-21 and, by 1923, were grouped into the 3500 car series 230000-233499 series, where they remained until re-buildings started in the July, 1935.  The most visible element of the rebuilding was removal of the grain doors, and so it is fairly easy to use a single model to represent original or later cars with minimal effort.

If the PP slide attached comes through, it shows my understanding of the re-build and renumbering of the cars.

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 01:52 PM, Robert kirkham wrote:
I’m not aware of a series of Canadian Pacific “9 panel” cars with Z bracing (other than the WWII era war emergency cars (adapted from the 1937 design).  As far as I have seen, they were all similar to the USRA cars, with hat profile braces.  They were modestly heavier (2100 lbs), which I believe was attributable to the framing etc of the bottom opening grain doors located on the car floor in line with each side door.
Rob,

Was this directed at my message? You asked about USRA cars with other than 5/5/5 ends, and I directed you to some "clones", clones being USRA design body framing, built after the USRA ceased to exist. Who said anything about zed bars?

Dennis Storzek

Robert kirkham

Ah - I misunderstood your point Dennis.  Agreed.

Rob

On Jun 19, 2021, at 3:32 PM, Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...> wrote:

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 01:52 PM, Robert kirkham wrote:
I’m not aware of a series of Canadian Pacific “9 panel” cars with Z bracing (other than the WWII era war emergency cars (adapted from the 1937 design).  As far as I have seen, they were all similar to the USRA cars, with hat profile braces.  They were modestly heavier (2100 lbs), which I believe was attributable to the framing etc of the bottom opening grain doors located on the car floor in line with each side door.
Rob,

Was this directed at my message? You asked about USRA cars with other than 5/5/5 ends, and I directed you to some "clones", clones being USRA design body framing, built after the USRA ceased to exist. Who said anything about zed bars?

Dennis Storzek

np328

     In addition to the magazine listed above, there is also the January 1987 Model Railroading, USRA  Single-Sheathed 40-foot Box Cars (introduced as part 1 of the History of America's Steel Framed Box Cars) pages 9 through 15.  Also written by Richard Hendrickson, with assistance by Al Westerfield  - for additional reading and a roster listing of the USRA cars.

Richard notes that he is indebted to James E Lane's "comprehensive and extensively researched article" USRA Freight Cars,  Railroad History  No. 128, Spring 1973. (R&LHS Inc)
   Also credits Al Westerfield.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Jim Dick - Roseville, MN

ed_mines

The roofs and under frames are different, probably the height too.