Rapido USRA Single Sheath Boxcar announced

Gerald Henriksen

Just announced on a Facebook Live, newsletter and website will show it
sometime tomorrow.

- 3 different doors
- Ann Arbor, B&O, C&O, CNJ, C&NW, D&H, MEC, MILW, N&W, NYC, Pennsy,
Reading, SP, + 1 more couldn't see (I think I got the list correct
from the image they showed on the livestream).

Andy Laurent

The Rapido announcement for the USRA boxcars starts about 19:48 into the video here:
https://www.facebook.com/rapidotrains/videos/794304604562129/

15 versions. 14 road names.

Andy L
Madison WI

Brian Carlson

I covered some of the USRA SS cars in my Rust Belt boxcars clinic at cocoa beach, Greensburg and online during Hindsight 1 and 2.

In no particular order here are my notes

D&H USRA SS 20% of the boxcar fleet in 1950. 12.4% in 1957.
The potential problem is these cars were rebuilt in 1937 with some strengthening changes to the side sill and door frame area, and they were reroofed. They got a combination of Murphy raise panel roof, climax radio or Viking roof. Car assignments were random so you need to work from photographs.

CNJ
15% of the fleet in 1950. Gone in 57. 20000-20498 series.  Still had k brakes in late 40’s and wood door. New power handbrake. Roof not sure.
Wonder if these were a casualty of the k brake ban?

Reading
8.75% of the fleet in 1950 0.65% in 1957
1951 photo I have of 5828 has AB brakes but the rest, including the roof, look original.  Bill had the same pic tonight.

Brian J. Carlson

On Jun 10, 2021, at 11:18 PM, Andy Laurent via groups.io <andy.laurent@...> wrote:

The Rapido announcement for the USRA boxcars starts about 19:48 into the video here:
https://www.facebook.com/rapidotrains/videos/794304604562129/

15 versions. 14 road names.

Andy L
Madison WI

nyc3001 .

They are also going to do an RF&P version.

-Phil Lee

On Jun 10, 2021, at 11:18 PM, Andy Laurent via groups.io <andy.laurent=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

The Rapido announcement for the USRA boxcars starts about 19:48 into the video here:
https://www.facebook.com/rapidotrains/videos/794304604562129/

15 versions. 14 road names.

Andy L
Madison WI

William Dale

The CNJ cars, how many I don’t know, where upgraded to AB brakes. From photos it appears when they were shopped, they also got the small Lady Liberty herald. I have never seen any other roof combinations either. There is a very common photo, in color, of this class stenciled for the L&NE, MOW car. This was post 1961, as the L&NE never had these. It was the Lehigh & New England Railway.

Gerald Henriksen

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 19:43:41 -0400, you wrote:

Just announced on a Facebook Live, newsletter and website will show it
sometime tomorrow.

- 3 different doors
- Ann Arbor, B&O, C&O, CNJ, C&NW, D&H, MEC, MILW, N&W, NYC, Pennsy,
Reading, SP, + 1 more couldn't see (I think I got the list correct
from the image they showed on the livestream).
Website now live:
https://rapidotrains.com/products/ho-scale/freight-cars/ho-scale-usra-single-sheathed-wood-boxcar

Or the PDF brochure:
https://files.constantcontact.com/b02e8bb6001/276e9961-da24-414c-abcb-7f7b57a59af7.pdf

Ken Adams

Tichy can maybe retire the old Gould molding? The Rapido RTR versions will probably cost at least 4 times as much. But not having to drill the holes for grab irons may be worth it.
--
Ken Adams

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Gerald, et al.,

Rapido is offering the PRR X36, aka USRA single sheathed boxcar, with both Youngstown and Creco doors. The website, however, shows the six car sets of both versions will have the same six car numbers. I hoping that changes.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 19:43:41 -0400, you wrote:

Just announced on a Facebook Live, newsletter and website will show it
sometime tomorrow.

- 3 different doors
- Ann Arbor, B&O, C&O, CNJ, C&NW, D&H, MEC, MILW, N&W, NYC, Pennsy,
Reading, SP, + 1 more couldn't see (I think I got the list correct
from the image they showed on the livestream).
Website now live:
https://rapidotrains.com/products/ho-scale/freight-cars/ho-scale-usra-single-sheathed-wood-boxcar

Or the PDF brochure:
https://files.constantcontact.com/b02e8bb6001/276e9961-da24-414c-abcb-7f7b57a59af7.pdf

Eric Hansmann

I think Ralph had a typo in the Pennsy car class. The USRA single-sheathed
boxcars were the X26 class on the PRR.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 19:43:41 -0400, you wrote:

Just announced on a Facebook Live, newsletter and website will show it
sometime tomorrow.

- 3 different doors
- Ann Arbor, B&O, C&O, CNJ, C&NW, D&H, MEC, MILW, N&W, NYC, Pennsy,
Reading, SP, + 1 more couldn't see (I think I got the list correct from
the image they showed on the livestream).
Website now live:
https://rapidotrains.com/products/ho-scale/freight-cars/ho-scale-usra-single
-sheathed-wood-boxcar

Or the PDF brochure:
https://files.constantcontact.com/b02e8bb6001/276e9961-da24-414c-abcb-7f7b57
a59af7.pdf

Ralph W. Brown

Yes, a typo. Ugh.

Thanks for the clarification.

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 19:43:41 -0400, you wrote:

Just announced on a Facebook Live, newsletter and website will show it
sometime tomorrow.

- 3 different doors
- Ann Arbor, B&O, C&O, CNJ, C&NW, D&H, MEC, MILW, N&W, NYC, Pennsy,
Reading, SP, + 1 more couldn't see (I think I got the list correct from
the image they showed on the livestream).
Website now live:
https://rapidotrains.com/products/ho-scale/freight-cars/ho-scale-usra-single
-sheathed-wood-boxcar

Or the PDF brochure:
https://files.constantcontact.com/b02e8bb6001/276e9961-da24-414c-abcb-7f7b57
a59af7.pdf

Allen Cain

Did The Southern operate any that match Rapidos undeveloped?

Allen Cain
--
Allen Cain
Chem-Dry of Brentwood

--
Allen Cain
Modeling the Southern in 1955 in HO Scale

Eric Hansmann

Allen,

The Southern was not assigned any USRA boxcars. They were assigned 2000 USRA composite gondolas with drop bottom doors.

The original USRA car assignments can be review in tables on my blog.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 12:13:33 -0400, you wrote:

Rapido is offering the PRR X36, aka USRA single sheathed boxcar, with both
Youngstown and Creco doors. The website, however, shows the six car sets of
both versions will have the same six car numbers. I hoping that changes.
Don't know if they have changed it, but the website currently shows
different numbers for the 2 6-car offerings.

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Gerald,

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

I sent them a "Contact" message last night when I noticed the numbers. Thus far I've gotten only an automated response, but maybe that was the impetus for the change.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 12:13:33 -0400, you wrote:

Rapido is offering the PRR X36, aka USRA single sheathed boxcar, with both
Youngstown and Creco doors. The website, however, shows the six car sets of
both versions will have the same six car numbers. I hoping that changes.
Don't know if they have changed it, but the website currently shows
different numbers for the 2 6-car offerings.

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Gerald,

I just checked the website again, and the numbers have been changed. This morning, I misspoke when I said last night, the two sets of numbers were the same, and were all four digits starting with a six. They're quite different now. Good news.

Thanks again. Thant's one less thing to cause me concern.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 12:13:33 -0400, you wrote:

Rapido is offering the PRR X36, aka USRA single sheathed boxcar, with both
Youngstown and Creco doors. The website, however, shows the six car sets of
both versions will have the same six car numbers. I hoping that changes.
Don't know if they have changed it, but the website currently shows
different numbers for the 2 6-car offerings.

brianleppert@att.net

I have read no comments about the incorrect upper door guide seen in Rapido's illustration.  It needs to extend farther to the right.

Brian Leppert
Carson
city, NV

Michael Gross

Rapido is aware of the incorrect upper door guide length and the missing upper door stop as well.  They are on it!
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

Andy Miller

Speaking of typos, has anyone ever seem a photo of the "12DF8" truck advertised as being under the Rapido GLa? 😉 It could carry one hellava load but probably had problems on curves.

Andy Miller

I think Ralph had a typo in the Pennsy car class. The USRA single-sheathed boxcars were the X26 class on the PRR.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 19:43:41 -0400, you wrote:

Just announced on a Facebook Live, newsletter and website will show it
sometime tomorrow.

- 3 different doors
- Ann Arbor, B&O, C&O, CNJ, C&NW, D&H, MEC, MILW, N&W, NYC, Pennsy,
Reading, SP, + 1 more couldn't see (I think I got the list correct from
the image they showed on the livestream).
Website now live:
https://rapidotrains.com/products/ho-scale/freight-cars/ho-scale-usra-single
-sheathed-wood-boxcar

Or the PDF brochure:
https://files.constantcontact.com/b02e8bb6001/276e9961-da24-414c-abcb-7f7b57
a59af7.pdf

Randy Hammill

I did a quick post covering prototype roster info c1950 for the cars:

https://blog.newbritainstation.com/2021/06/usra-single-sheathed-box-cars.html?m=1

I’ve ordered mine!

Randy
--

Randy Hammill
Prototype Junction

Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954
http://newbritainstation.com

Edited

Thanks very much for posting this. I was about 3 roads through doing a similar canvasing myself.

As for the C&O cars - I'm a C&O modeler and I've been doing some prep work for a kitbash of both the C&O's rebuilt USRA and the ex-HV boxcars. My current understanding is most, if not all, of the USRA were rebuilt in the early 1930s with radial roofs, along with seemingly every other C&O wood sheathed car.

As you mention, 800 of them were rebuilt in 1939 to an interior height of 10'0" with steel sides, Youngstown doors, and AB brakes. Several others were decapitated and placed into coke service, with others cut down for use as wheel cars.

I've yet to see a photo of a C&O single sheathed USRA boxcar with a shop/reweigh date after 1930 which did not have a radial roof. (The 1191 also had one.) Part of this is due to a severe lack of photos. The lone article in the C&O HS Magazine regarding these cars (Nov/Dec 2014) does not provide any further clarity regarding the roofs. It does however note that 1191 was shopped in 1931 for "major repairs", so there's always the possibility it and 632 are outliers.

The 1924/25-built ex-HV cars (C&O 82000-83999) went through a similar rebuild cycle. Many of them were shopped in the early 30s and received radial roofs. There's a great sequence of photos in the COHS archives showing several dozen at Raceland in various stages of undress/rebuild. These were once again rebuilt in 1941 to receive steel sides and other equipment. The newer of the 36' cars (84230-86999) also went through a similar rebuild in the early 30s where most received radial roofs.

So, based on those other contemporary early-mid 1930s rebuild programs, and the scant few photos available, I strongly suspect the C&O's USRA cars all received radial roofs of some form prior to the heavy rebuilds just before the war. This is still mostly conjecture, and I'd love to see evidence to the contrary. I suspect we've seen all of the photos that we'll ever see of C&O single sheathed USRA cars that were taken between the early 1930s and their retirement in 1950.

In a way this is good for me, as there were only 8 cars left in 1947 - my earliest operating year - making them numerically irrelevant for my fleet. (And I've already got one of the Westerfield kits in the pipeline, so....)

--

Andy Cummings

Houston, TX