Reading Yard - Philadelphia, PA

Andy Laurent

Undated photo from the Barriger Library posted this week:
Reading Railroad Freight Yard, Erie Ave. Philadelphia, PA

Click on the image twice to zoom in fully.  Lots to see in this c1940s view!  C&I 5060 hopper, string of MPLX tank cars by the shop, and plenty of boxcars afoot!

Cheers,
Andy L.
Madison, WI

Drew M.

09 February 1942 - the Reading photographer dated it in the lower right corner.

Drew M in Philly

On May 19, 2021, at 15:16, "Andy Laurent via groups.io" <yahoo.com@groups.io target=_blank>andy.laurent=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Undated photo from the Barriger Library posted this week:
Reading Railroad Freight Yard, Erie Ave. Philadelphia, PA

Click on the image twice to zoom in fully.  Lots to see in this c1940s view!  C&I 5060 hopper, string of MPLX tank cars by the shop, and plenty of boxcars afoot!

Cheers,
Andy L.
Madison, WI

Jim and Barbara van Gaasbeek

Considering the lack of snow anywhere in the picture, could it be September 2?

Jim van Gaasbeek

Irvine, CA

Dave Parker

There is snow/ice on the two auto cars in the second rank of cars I believe.

Also, they are in the far distance, but the trees look leafless to my eye.

I'm inclined to stick with February.  I spent three winters in Newark, DE.  Accumulated snow on the ground wasn't a very common sight.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

David

Lots of goodies in that pic, including a pair of Tatum peaked ends on a B&O N12 hopper and a NYC boxcar that looks to be either their ARA 1932 sample box or perhaps their USRA ds rebuild, but the number is not right for either of those.

David Thompson

steve_wintner

I grew up north of Philly, Buck's county. Snow on the ground was common then (80s, 90s) less so these days (family still there days so). Perhaps moreso than Newark  But I think a snowless February is possible, concur with Dave.

Steve