Topics

Recent painting experiences

Eric Hansmann

I share a couple of paint failures on my latest blog post. Don't worry, they turned out well at the end.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

Rob & Bev Manley

Eric,
Thanks for the tip on "airbrush ready" Valejo. I may have to give it a try. I am currently using a sprayable Acrylic from the Art store. The price is much lower and larger quantities. Golden Acrylic is the brand name. I am using a (Burnt?) Sienna that I like for color and performance. I add a few drops of Flo Aide to this. It has a semi matte finish which is compatible with my Future/Pledge gloss coat. I am running low on Model Master Flat and have been working with Windsor Newton Galleria Matte Varnish. Like Future/Pledge, I use no thinner. It's in a big 8oz. bottle and about $8.00. I ordered it online from Blick (art store). They have stores in the Chicagoland area and Galesburg. Just what a Burlington Man likes.
    My pre-prep consists of a wash in Dawn ,rinse and wash with SHOUT, more Dawn and sometimes Barkeepers Friend. I have yet to use a primer. I'll be looking into that. The Styleneze from Tamiya is what the military modelers use.
    On the occasional goof, I have a sink next to me and I spray it down with SHOUT and scrub.

Sincerely,
Rob Manley
"Better modeling through personal embarrassment"

On Monday, July 27, 2020, 08:56:30 AM CDT, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

I share a couple of paint failures on my latest blog post. Don't worry, they turned out well at the end.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

Pete C

Rob,
  Golden is well known and very high quality brand.  For their acrylics they have a hardener that helps it bond to non-porous surfaces like plastic and resin.  It’s called GAC 200, here’s a link if you’re interested in looking into it. https://www.goldenpaints.com/products/medium-gels-pastes/special-purpose-mediums

Pete Cesaro

On Jul 27, 2020, at 12:14 PM, Rob & Bev Manley <robev1630@...> wrote:

[...]

Pete,
Thanks for the tip. I'll check tose out, next stroll to the North Side.
BTW are you related to John, Bill, Edward and Frank Cesaro? I grew up with them.